0. The Owl Flys Ahead

( WARNING: Lengthy chapter ahead! )

     The air has a sweet smell to it like sugary honey

     The air has a sweet smell to it like sugary honey. The cool autumn winds blow all around making the leaves and branches of trees shake fiercely. The dim sky is covered in white blankets made up of frothy clouds. Small waves ripple across the large pond of this grand park.

     I playfully run after my dear friend Sarah as she goes across an old stone bridge that leads to an open field of green grass.

     We come here every day after rehearsals. It's my escape from my adoptive family and Sarah's from her stepmother, that woman is like an evil bird.

     She stops right in the middle letting her beautiful costume dress down into the wind. I'm pretty proud of how the material is light enough to not trip over.

     The amount of time spent making the gown really put a strain on my fingers for a long while.

     I come to a halt behind her towards the right side, my signature pose. My cardboard armor breastplate flapped with the breeze. The paper mache sword is still resting inside the brown sheath attached to my string belt.

     Not the best work I've done for a role but I do like seeing myself as a strong and noble knight. The only way I can face my fears is to get on stage. Being able to be someone else helps me forget where I came from.

     "Give me the child." She pleaded to no one in particular, only the open space around us. Her arms dangle at her sides. The emotion in her voice seems so real I also believe it.

     "Do consider this carefully," I spoke whilst pulling out my sad excuse of a sword. Aiming the fake weapon in the direction of where Sarah is looking.  Trying to imagine a king standing there with a foul grin plastered on his face.

     "Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered." I watched as she took a few steps forward.

     I lift my sword higher and give into a stance of total readiness. My short hair is falling from a loose ponytail I had earlier at school, getting in my line of vision. Though I'm focused on the task at hand.

     "I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City." She used her arms to help express her words in ways we actors do. Sarah even turned her head to look out beyond.

     "To take back the child you have stolen." There was a sudden pause. I take that as my cue to deliver my line.

     "We have come so far to not get the child now." My voice was rather harsh and troubled sounding. My character in this play is not one to mess with, the opposite of the real me in many aspects.

     "For our will is as strong as yours... and my kingdom is as great." Just now a rumble of thunder blasted away.

     I flinch at the rough sound. All Sarah did was look up at the sky with a dreamy look in her eyes.