8. Greet Death Himself

( WARNING: Difficult Chapter Ahead! )

     It only took a few moments to collect myself. I've been standing at the forest entrance, staring out in blind wonder. Cold wind breezes in my direction. I can't control the convulsive shiver that rattles my skin.

     My feet have been almost glued to the start of the dark pebbled path. I know I must go on and meet whatever is waiting ahead. Deep down I know this is what I meant to do.

     Not for Jareth or for Sarah. I need to do this for me. I can't think of any other reason.

     "Just go ahead, Franklin." It sounds ridiculous to talk to myself out loud. I tend to do that every once in a while. As a way to motivate and push myself forward. I always do that before going out on stage.

     There isn't time to grasp that I've started to move. Even as I look back the wall and arch have closed shut. Ivy plants have covered every inch of the outside. I'm still inside the labyrinth, the most dangerous part of it.

     No girl before me has even made it this far. Though Jareth still never told me the reason for all of this, it all must have been the most important.

     "No way to get out of this one, I hope I make you proud, Goblin King. Note the sarcasm." Gosh, I don't even know why I opened my mouth.

     He is probably sitting on that throne with Toby on his lap watching me make a fool out of myself through a crystal ball. I need to get him out of my head so I can concentrate on the task at hand.

     This place would be nice and peaceful with just a little more light. The only source is coming from the full moon. Only an hour ago the sun was shining bright. I'm in no position to complain about the drastic change in lighting.

     The trees glisten with bronze sap. Makes me think of syrup and pancakes. With that thought, my stomach grumbled loudly. If I get out of this I better be treated with snacks. After all, I worked pretty damn hard to be at this point. My arm was almost pulled off too.

     There is a certain smell in the damp air, maybe salt. I'm not certain. It's calming in a sleepy way. All I see are trees and greenish mist. Nothing scary or dangerous looking.

     What am I supposed to face?

     A quick snap of a branch echoed throughout the woods. I stumbled slightly from the surprise. Everything has become still. The winds have died down as well.

     I guess it's show time for the final beast to take me down.

~~~

     Jareth couldn't believe he let his guard down to kiss the girl. Absolutely horrendous. What in the hell has gotten into him? There was such an urge to bring some comfort to the situation. There was nothing else to think of at the moment.