Page Four

The silent tension that followed was so thick, you could sink a spoon into it and you would only manage to lose the spoon.

People looked on as Robert stood, brushed himself off, propped up his chair, and sat back down. Once a burble of conversation showed the crowd's disinterest, he turned to Phil with a very serious look. So serious that Phil almost dropped the coin.

"Forgive me, friend." Robert half chuckled, half sighed. "I could've sworn you were holding out the Gift of Omiana. A little superstitious of me, eh?"

Phil shrugged. "What difference would it make?"

Robert raised an eyebrow. "Don't you remember the old wives' tale? 'Bring a Gift up to the hill'?"

"Yeah," said Phil, "but that one's mostly about blood, isn't it? Who'd want that kind of trouble?"

The ginger opened his mouth to argue, but closed it again.

"You're right," conceded Robert, "and besides, it's all just a story, anyway."

Unfortunately for those to whom it may concern, Robert was about to learn how wrong he was. This would happen the moment Phil told him the truth, and it would change both their lives in ways neither one of them could imagine. Indeed, all heck was about to break loose in three... two... one...

"Well, no, it's not just a story; this is the actual GO coin. Hasn't made life any easier, though."

And there it is.

The first person to go was the barkeep, who reached over and hoisted Phil up by the collar.

"Hand it over, and you'll get all the drink you want! Never thirst for a day!"

Someone leapt over the bar to punch the barkeep in the face, while someone else yanked Phil by the back of his cloak.

"The coin!" He shouted. "Give it, or I'll slit your throat, so help me!"

Robert elbowed the offender in the face, allowing Phil to duck under two more patrons and almost make it to the door.

Some old fisherman sat on a chair that was blocking the exit.

"Slow down, young man!" Soothed the fellow. "Couldn't you spare some coin for a-"

Without warning, the seat beneath him threw itself over, leaving Robert to open the door.

"Come on, friend!" He shouted, holding the door ajar for Phil. "Hurry!"

With a nod, Phil bolted out the door. Outrageous threats and incredulous shouts followed, as disgruntled patrons poured out of the tavern like stampeding bulls. Incredibly, a familiar pair of fancy leather boots caught up with Phil in a matter of seconds. It was then that Robert plucked Phil from off the road, and carried him into the nearby woods.