Ch. 2

Hermione tentatively looked towards the food, hearing her stomach growl. She couldn't remember the last time she had eaten; she wasn't even sure how long they had been at Malfoy Manor after getting caught. Especially considering she had blacked out for an unknown period of time after...

She shook her head, trying to ignore the memories that were about to resurface and she moved towards the tray, reaching for the bowl of cereal. After smelling it and looking it over, she decided that if Malfoy really had intentions of doing anything he would've done so by now and she took a bite. It was bland but she eagerly finished the bowl off and set it down, grabbing the fruit and moving towards the window again.

The beach was absolutely beautiful even though the skies were cloudy. She allowed herself to watch the waves as she finished off the bowl of fruit before she went back to the tray and set the empty bowl down, munching on the toast as she began pacing back and forth.

She needed to get out of the cottage and find out where she was, and then find a way to get back to Harry and Ron. She could send them a Patronus and reunite with them to continue searching for horcruxes. But first things first: she needed to find a way out of the cottage, and she needed to do so without alerting Malfoy.

Stopping in her tracks, she looked back towards the window as she swallowed the last bite of toast. She made her way towards the window and inspected it before trying to open it. The window wouldn't budge however, no matter how many times and angles she tried to open it from.

With a frustrated groan she stepped back, glaring at the window while running a hand through her hair. There had to be another way out of the cottage, but in order to find it she would have to leave the room.

This was for some reason a very daunting task; she stared at the door to the room, trying to muster up the courage to walk out. He had mentioned a bathroom where she could shower and she took a step forward. Maybe there was a way out in the bathroom.

She was thankful that the door opened quietly and she stepped carefully across the wood floorboards, making her way down the hall where she remembered he had said the bathroom was. As she looked around, she found it hard to believe that it was Malfoy's personal cottage; it seemed much smaller than what she would think would be any personal space of his, and was definitely the opposite of extravagant.

The bathroom wasn't far down the hall and she slowly opened the door to it, trying to minimize any noise that could have been made. There was a window against the far wall that she immediately went to, but after a few frustrating seconds she found that one wouldn't open either.

She let out a quiet frustrated groan and ran her hands through her hair, trying to figure out what to do. There was a sudden noise from outside of the bathroom that made her jump and she tensed up, waiting to hear another noise. After hearing none, she cautiously opened the bathroom door again, peering out and down the hallway.

There were a few more noises that she realized were coming from the kitchen, and she recognized the sound of pots and pans being moved. She fought with herself internally on what to do next; it was clear that none of the windows were going to open, and that meant she needed to find yet another possible way out.

With another internalized groan she came to the conclusion that she was going to have to go out and face Malfoy in order to find any other possible ways out of the cottage.

As she stepped out of the bathroom and paused, she chewed on the inside of her cheek as she worked up the courage to move. She had no idea what Malfoy intended, bringing her here; maybe he was operating on his aunt's orders. Separate the trio to make them vulnerable and have them fail. The fact that he had brought her food earlier meant nothing; if anything, it only confused her.