Ch. 8

Staring at the ceiling, she didn't get up from the bed as the room slowly brightened with the sun coming up. After she had gone back into the kitchen, he had made food for her again but she wasn't able to finish it much to his dismay. Even though she had started to feel tired and went to try and sleep, she couldn't; the guilt of her still being in that cottage ate away at her and kept her up.

Another question started to bother her: why hadn't Harry and Ron found her yet? Ron still had the Dilluminator, and that's how he found them after he had left the camp. Why hadn't he used it to find her?

She sighed and rolled over, staring out the window and trying to ignore how she felt at that moment. The sky was beautiful, and she allowed herself some time to watch the sunrise for the first time in a long time. In the past she had always enjoyed the sunrise and sunsets; lately though that was a luxury and she found that she hadn't been able to make time for.

After allowing herself another ten minutes to enjoy the sunrise, she stood up and yawned, regretting that she hadn't been able to sleep as she changed clothes. While she had gotten used to not sleeping well when out on the run, being able to actually sleep on a proper bed the past couple of days threw this off and now she was exhausted.

She was also irked by the fact that Malfoy somehow kept catching her off guard in their conversations. While it was easy to outright hate him during school because of his behavior, she couldn't deny that seeing this different, quieter side of him piqued her interest. Now, she was finding that instead of hatred being the first emotion she felt when she thought of him, it had been replaced by sympathy, and even curiosity to find out more about him.

Shaking her head, she glared at nothing in particular as she let out a sharp breath and reminded herself that she was trying to escape to get back to Harry and Ron. And that wouldn't happen if she kept getting distracted by his kindness to her now; she had to put that wall up between them again.

The smell of breakfast hit her as she opened her door, and she continued to remind herself that she wasn't going to let Malfoy stop her today as she pulled her hair up into a bun and walked towards the kitchen. He was already preparing a plate, glancing up at her as she walked through the doorway.

"Good morning," He answered cheerfully, raising an eyebrow when she didn't acknowledge him this time. "Or not."

She ignored the added comment as she grabbed a mug and set it on the counter before reaching for the kettle to fill it with water. He sighed and shook his head setting his plate to the side and grabbing another.

"What all would you like to eat?" He asked, watching her as she moved to the sink.

"I can put my own plate together," She answered, refusing to look at him.

He didn't move though, his brow furrowing slightly. "Are you alright?"

She sighed heavily but didn't look up as she said, "Didn't sleep."

He set the empty plate down and took his own, grabbing silverware before sitting down at the table next to the large window. After filling the kettle she set it back on the stove and turned the stove on, moving to the small island to put a plate of food together. She stood there eating and glancing at the stove every so often, trying to ignore the other person in the room with her.

"You know you can sit down to eat?" He said after a little while.

She glanced over to see him gesturing towards one of the empty seats at the table. Shaking her head, she pointed towards the stove and said, "I'm waiting on water for tea."

He raised an eyebrow again before saying, "I didn't realize you needed to be standing up to do that."

She didn't respond, taking another bite of food and looking back over to the stove. The water boiled after a few minutes, and she went to grab the empty mug she had chosen along with the tea bag she had chosen for that morning, a simple black tea.