Part 19

"It had to be done" Archenbahd ran his nail across the rim of his glass.

"How many times are you going to keep telling yourself this?" Chevalier groaned.

The year is 1905. Chevalier had moved into Archenbahd's mansion, with his new doting lover, Victoria.

"Dear Archenbahd, why so contrary? You were together 40 years" Chevalier laughed, "that's more than most mortals stay married".

"Because I killed her, Chevalier" Archenbahd leaned his head on his palm.

"Well, as you keep saying: 'it had to be done'. At least you haven't locked yourself in your room for all these years".

Victoria giggled at Chevalier's comment, pressing her head to his chest.

"Victoria, dear" Chevalier lifted her chin so she would look at him, "would you go wait for me in my bedroom?".

"Of course, love" Victoria pecked him on the cheek and then skipped down the hall to the stairway.

"You talk too much in front of her" Archenbahd sighed, "I thought you were trying to keep us hidden"

"Ah, Victoria is a simple, rather stupid thing" Chevalier laughed, "she won't find anything out. Trust me".

Meanwhile, in Chevalier's bedroom, Victoria was composing a letter:

'Constable,

   I have been in close quarters with Archenbahd Lavois and Chevalier Reund Laurent for 3 months now.

I feel there is some information you should know.

Please meet me within the next week at my residence, during the day

               Regards,
                Victoria'