Chapter One

Asdfghjkl imma burn this chapter... I'm in school right now so i'll edit it later~

********************

The moon shone brightly in the night sky, causing the buildings in the city to cast shadows over one another. An uncomfortable silence covered the city like a suffocating blanket; the tension in the air was almost unbearable.

During the day, the sidewalks are filled with people of all ages. Children and adolescents making their way to school, adults rushing to work, even older aged people visiting the grocery store for their supply of fresh vegetables. But at night the streets are abandoned; usually only used by the people searching for the elusive 'phantom thief'.

Two girls around the age of fourteen quickly walked along the sidewalk, their eyes both focused on the road ahead of them.

"Are you sure this is the right way, Mari?" The one on the left whispered to the other, raising one eyebrow. Her light purple hair was messily braided to keep it out of her face, it rested on her shoulder and ended just by her elbow. She glanced at the paper in her companions hand, her cerulean blue eyes studying the map carefully as she waited for her reply.

"I'm sure." Was her simple and quick response. Compared to the bluenette, Mari was considerably taller. Her black hair fell in front of her stormy grey eyes and she was quick to tuck it back behind her ears.

"Am I going to have to walk much further?" The shorter of the two complained miserably, pouting as she did so, "My legs hurt and I need the toilet. Plus, walking around at night is making me uneasy. There's too much darkness." She started to walk closer to her companion, as if she was afraid of losing her in the middle of the night.

"We're nearly there Mitsuko, so hang on for a bit longer." Mari smiled kindly, internally hoping that it would be enough to reassure the bluenette that everything would be okay. Even though she was the youngest, Mari's mature and cold demeanour fooled everyone into thinking she was the older one of the two.

Mitsuko didn't reply, usually she was full of energy and it was hard to keep an eye on her. 'It must be from all of the walking we've done today...' Mari thought amusedly, the duo had trekked quite some distance over the past 24 hours. The bus that was supposed to take them directly into the town had broken down on the journey there, and the two of them had been forced to walk the remaining ten miles. They would've asked their Aunt Yuuki and Uncle Dai to pick them up in the car, but they had been forced to go somewhere due to some sort of problem at their work's HQ. They weren't the only ones that had to leave though, all of the employees had been requested to return. According to them; they wouldn't be back for at least three weeks.

But they had given the girls a phone number to call if they encountered any problems while they were away, apparently it belonged to a friend of theirs that would be willing to help them out as much as possible.

The two walked in unison down the quiet streets until Mari decided they had reached their destination. "This should be it, if the directions they gave us are right." She pointed out, grinning widely.

"Finally!" Mitsuko cheered happily, she strolled over to the door and stopped; realising she had no key to actually open the front door. "So.. Where's the house key they sent us..?" She questioned nervously.

"I thought you had it..." Mari mumbled; equally nervous. They had every right to be, if they had actually lost that key their Aunt and Uncle would be furious.

"No..? I definitely gave it to you to look after. You know how I am with losing things." Mitsuko retorted irritably, her brows furrowed as she attempted to recall where she had seen the key last. "Ugh, I really can't be dealing with this now." She muttered, yawning.