Chapter thirty-two

Moving

I collected the last remaining stuff of mine from my now empty room into the very last box. Wylie helped me carrying the boxes into my father's car.

I stood in from of the house and hugged Wylie goodbye. I hugged him tight be I don't know when I will be seeing him next.

"Text me daily," I said. "And I will call whenever I can." He nodded in response."Don't take more than a year of break. Pick your major and what Universities you want."

"I will."

"I am serious, Wylie," I said, eyeing him. "Don't take my mother's money for granted."

"Fine!" He said.

I smiled and give him one last quick hug before I got into the car. I waved goodbye as my father drove off.

We drove past the Hendrix company -used to be- and my heart started racing. A part of me hoped he would walk out of there so I can see him one more time. But that didn't happen. The other part of me was glad. Because I don't think I would have been able to walk away for the second time if I saw him again.

My heart ached, but I ignored it.

I can do it. This is my life, and I will do this next step on my own. This is a big change in my mindset that I am proud of. I have always wanted someone to be there for me, to care for me. And I have always been disappointed and upset knowing that there isn't any. But now, now I knew that there was one person right there by my side all those years. And that person is me.

So, I will treat myself better from now on. Starting by focusing on myself and my studies. Nothing else.

I stared outside the window as my eyes caught the sign of my home town saying 'have a safe ride, hope to see you again soon!' I swallowed and rested my head back on the headrest and closed my eyes.

My eyes flew open and I reached for my phone, clicking on Kane's number in my messages.

"I just left town," I wrote but immediately erased it before I sent it. "Just wanted to say my last goodbye"

Stupid, I thought to myself and closed my phone without sending any message.

I must have dozed off, because the next time I opened my eyes, we were parking in front of the University that I will be spending my life at for the next four years.

We got inside and my father did all the talking as I looked around the place from where we stood.

"Alright," the women said after what seemed like ages of talking. "Would you like me to give you a second to say goodbye before I show you to your dorm room?"

"No, that's alright." I smiled at her, not glancing at my father.

"Uh, okay," the woman who's called Mrs. Mikelson said. "Follow me."

I walked behind her and didn't have the hedge to look back at my father. Not even once. I am not planning on ever going back home. I will see Wylie though, but never home.

She opened the door to my dorm room and we stepped in. "Since you arrived first, you get to pick which side will be your for the next four years." Mrs. Mikelson said. "A fourth-year student will come by tomorrow to give you and your roommate a tour." I nodded. "Glad you choose us, you will love it here."

I smiled at her once more before she left and closed the door behind her. I took a closer look around, both sides are pretty much the same, but I picked the right side since it had a little bookshelf next to the bed instead of a nightstand table with the drawer that was on the left side. All my boxes were already here, two workers took them earlier when I arrived.

I began unpacking little by little. I started with my bedding since it's the easiest, changing the covers and adding my soft blanket, ready bear and multiple pillows. I love pillows. I had a lot but I left them back home and took my favourite ones with me because I knew the dorm won't be as big as my room or have extra space for random stuff. I mean, it's as big as my room but I only have the right side for myself so...

Next, I took out my clothes and hang them up in the wardrobe and folded my PJs and paced them on the shelf inside. And after that, I stored my socks in the bottom drawer of the wardrobe. Lastly placed my books on the six layers bookshelf on my side -that was the exact same as the one on the left side- and placed the book I am currently reading and a few more books I will read next on the bookshelf next to my bed.

After I was done I lied down on my back, exhaust and stared up at the ceiling. When I looked to my right at the wall that was exactly next to my bed, I hated how dull and empty it looked so I made a mental note to go shopping for wall decorations.

I reached for my phone and stared at the messages app then soon clicked on it and opened Kane and my chat.

I took a deep breath in with no attempt to text him anything but... Three dots appeared and disappeared on the screen over and over again.

He is debating whether to text me or not as well...

I smiled at that but it soon disappeared when the three dots stopped appearing.

Ugh

I closed my phone and pulled out a book from next to my bed to take my mind off of him.