• Dinner Mishaps •

"Will somebody listen to me?" Edmund asked in exasperation, watching as his siblings walked in and out of the Great Hall, followed by some of their servants. "This is outrageous. Oh, I'm exasperated. SUSAN! You're supposed to talk sense into them. I'm sure you believe me, too."

His older sister swivelled around and smiled apologetically while fixing flowers on an ornate vase. "Sorry, Ed," she said, cutting the thorns from a rose. "I do believe that what we're doing can be risky to us and our countrymen but see that bloke over there?" She pointed her scissors towards Peter who was talking to a band of Badgers. "Contradicting him is futile."

Edmund rolled his eyes and turned around, planning to stomp off to the gazebo in the garden. It had always been his sanctuary since he was the only one who found comfort in the said place. He knew that if he were there, he'd be away from these mad people.

"If this woman turns out to be a hideous witch or something, then I won't help you at all if she wreak havoc in this bloody country!" he exclaimed in finality, opening the front doors of the castle. He ventured off to the gardens, walked inside the gazebo, and plopped down on one of its chairs.

He could not believe them. Not at all. There was a prophecy, for goodness' sake! It was a time for them to be on guard and look out for strange and potentially dangerous things around and inside Narnia. There was no time for this fancy hogwash. They needed to plan battles and form strategies.

Edmund heaved a huge sigh and leaned his head against the backrest of his seat. Of course he should be grateful that this mysterious girl that was going to dine with them this evening saved his sister's life. That was something heroic. Full stop. But what if it was merely a ruse? What if the girl needed something from Lucy... from them that could jeopardize the safety of Narnia? For all they know, she could be the one that was described in the first two lines of the prophecy.

"I knew you'd be here," a voice interrupted and Edmund did not have to lift his head to know who it was.

"Go away and... and spread glitters all over the Great Hall for your special friend, Lucy," Edmund spat, a small pout growing on his face.

His sister laughed and sat down beside him. "I'm not spreading glitters, mister," she interjected, smiling when her brother rolled her eyes. "Tsk, come on, Edmund, why are you being like this?"

"Oh, I don't know," he mocked. "Maybe because we have a country to protect? You tell me."

"Blimey, you're insufferable!" Lucy exclaimed, laughing softly. This made him scowl. "Look, Hermione's my guest, okay? All right, all right, she has this mysterious aura around herself. I want to assume that she's a Telmarine but there's something about her that seemed... off."

"Well, a good reason why we must stop this absurdity," he pointed out but Lucy shook her head.

"Shh, I'm not done," she reprimanded, ignoring the glare he threw her way. "I don't know. She's different but harmless. Definitely harmless." She emphasized her description upon seeing Edmund's scowl darken. "This Hermione I've seen in the forest was, err... something and I don't know, I think I was just compelled to get to know more about her."

Edmund sighed and straightened up, looking straight into Lucy's eyes. "That's the thing about deception, Lucy," he said. "It always makes things so pleasant and curious and before you know it, you're in danger already."

"What if she's the Daughter of Eve in the prophecy?" Lucy asked.

"We can't risk that," he reasoned out.

"But, Ed, what if?" she insisted, her eyes shining brighter than usual.

He sighed and reluctantly said, "Then, that's good. We found our sole defender of Narnia." He glared when a small smile appeared on Lucy's face. "But what if she's not? Lucy, come on, we have to be more careful from now on. I don't see why Peter couldn't feel the urgency of what we are suddenly thrust into."