𝟏𝟏

CHAPTER 11

The next morning, I was shook awake before the sun had the opportunity to grace us with its rays of sunshine

The next morning, I was shook awake before the sun had the opportunity to grace us with its rays of sunshine. The sun hadn't fully risen, just as I was not. Trying to rub the sleep out of my eyes, I wondered aloud why Louis decided to wake me up this early in the morning.

Instead of replying she drew the sheets from my semi-naked body, exposing me to the chilly air that I tried my best to avoid. Frowning I went to the bathroom and took care of my hygiene. With a sigh, I reluctantly followed her out the door.

"The seamstress has asked for you to come for a fitting before your social activities commence," Louis informed.

I entered the dining room and was greeted with the wonderful sight of food the maid had set out. She exited the room and came back with the plates and cutlery for breakfast.

"Why so early though?" I questioned, eager to try on a bunch of what I hoped were beautiful dresses. I sat around the table and started eating.

"She has a set of dresses for you to try on but they'll need to be tailored, it does not look good for a lady to be seen wearing the same dress twice," the maid chimed, as if explaining the obvious.

"Fine, where should I go?" I articulated over and done with eating as I could hardly contain my excitement.

"First, eat your breakfast, then you'll get ready into something more appropriate. I will accompany you to the sunroom where the seamstress is based temporarily, she expressed her disapproval of my nightgown under my robe.

Doing as she asked, I trudged back into the bedroom to get dressed as quickly as my hands could move.

Louis reappeared, beckoning for me to follow her down the long hallway. She was silent as we continued through until we reached the door at the end of the hallway.

Giving two sharp knocks with her knuckles, the door opened just before she could knock again revealing another maid that greeted us with a head nod and retreated down the corridor.
Another new face welcomed me in, "Miss Laurier, we have a lot to do before your breakfast with the mayor."

"But I just had break- never mind now," Louis cut me off. "No time to argue, we have business to do," she reminded, leaving the room in that breath.

"With who?" I parroted as I followed her to the makeshift room cramped with fabrics and partially attired dress formats.

"Of course, you will be attending a luncheon with Kaiser although I don't know why the mayor will be in attendance." she said gesturing for me to step on the pedestal that was dominated by the large mirror which took up most of the wall.

"Oh, I am so sorry for the terrible timing, if I may be honest Ms. Laurier..."

"Please, just Lani is fine." I smiled.

"Lani then, Mr. Dietrich only informed two days ago that you were in need of a full wardrobe, so I had to gather and alter what I could as quickly as possible.

"You'll soon find out that vanity is not a problem for me as I have lived without for a while Ms..." I smiled.

"Just Laura, definitely not Ms. Laura as that makes me sound old, I am only just a few years older that you." she remarked.

"Now I want you to try on this... for today." She handed me dress to try on. She held up my hair from my face, mumbling about what color could be best suited for me to wear today.

We eventually decided on a black satin dress that trailed below my knees. It had a deep V-neck and thin delicate straps. It complimented my skin tone- such kind words from Laura.

Louis arrived just in time as Laura had arranged me into the dress that was hastily stitched to my body. " No quick movement or you'll prick yourself with a pin or two!" Laura exclaimed.
"Now lets get you out of that dress so you can get ready, meanwhile I stitch this dress to perfection!"

I jogged to my room as I was urged by Louis to hurry as three hours were obviously not enough to get ready.
...

I jogged to my room as I was urged by Louis to hurry as three hours were obviously not enough to get ready

𝐄𝐱𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 (𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝).
𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭!

𝐕𝐨𝐭𝐞
𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭