Chapter Six

- Flashback or Present?: The Day After The Call At Sam's BBQ - 

"James E. Woo, FBI." As you step out the car you're greeted with an FBI agent who's card trick seems vaguely familiar to you.

"Y/N... Avenger" You wait for Bucky to introduce himself but he just stares intimidatingly you laugh "This bundle of joy is.." 

"Sargent Barnes, it's a privilege!" Jimmy hands Bucky his card who takes it with a nod. 

"What's the story here, Agent Woo?"

"I've got a witness set up down the road in Westview, and this morning, it looked like he flew the coop."

"Your missing person is in the Witness Protection Program?" You eye him, you're confused as to what this has to do with Wanda. 

"I have contacted known associates, relatives..."

"And let me guess, none of them have seen him either?" Bucky retorts having the same confusions as you. 

"No. None of them have ever heard of him. Something seemed hanky to me, so I took the first flight out of Oakland to interface with local law enforcement, which is when I encountered a new wrinkle." Intrigued you and Bucky give each other a look and then follow Woo as you walk and talk. You head towards the two offices by the Westview signage. "Pardon me, Sheriff. Would you mind repeating your claim about Westview to my colleagues here?"

"No such place." You blink baffled. 

"You're saying the town of Westview, New Jersey, doesn't exist?" Bucky retorts pointing to the sign.

"It's what I keep telling your G-Man here, but he won't listen." Bucky scoffs finding the cop infuriating. 

"I see. And, um, I'm sorry, what town are you from?" You ask amused. 

"Eastview." You nod thoughtfully, trying to hide a smirk. 

"Thank you, Sheriff. I'll reach out if we need any further assistance." Woo nods and the two cops get in the car as you walk away back up the road. 

"I, uh, pulled phone numbers for all the residents. I'm only through the Ds, but so far I got Diddly Squat." Jimmy fills you in as you get out of earshot. 

"So you can't reach anyone inside and everyone on the outside has some sort of selective amnesia?"

"This isn't a missing person's case, it's a missing town. Population 3,892."

"Why haven't you gone inside to investigate?" Bucky motions to the town.

"'Cause it doesn't want me to. You can feel it too, can't you? Nobody's supposed to go in." He says spookily as you look towards the towns border.  You walk up to it, touching it, your hand nearly disappearing. 

"What the hell is that?" 

"Some kind of energy field." you say amazed.

"So what she's got an entire town inside an energy field?" Bucky looks at you. 

"The team is here, we have something..." Jimmy calls over to you both. 

. . . 

"Darcy, it's a pleasure, Thor spoke highly of you." 

"Right back at you" Darcy smiled after the initially shock had warn off that both you and the ex winter solider had just walked though the tents, causing the team Director Hayward to send to falter about a bit. 

"What you got?" You lean over her shoulder as she briefly explains to you, taking in yours and Bucky's matching dark leather combat ready uniform. Shit you two were the real deal.