Two

2301 sat on her bed in wonder. 

What was going on?

She was bored. She had never felt bored before. 

She had been awake to watch the sunrise, and now sat on her bed, waiting until it was time to dress and drink her energizer. Usually, she sat patiently, not feeling a thing until it was time to get up. 

But now she was anxious to get out.

Her leg even started to shake in anticipation, until the instructor finally knocked on her door to let her know she could leave. She was surprised herself with feeling anger towards the instructor, her face scrunching up towards the door. Why did they take so long? Why did they lock them up in these rooms when they had free reign to do whatever they wanted. 

She stomped out of the room and ran into 1704. She broke out of her current anger and smiled widely at the brunette. "1704! How are you?" She liked 1704 a lot, she mused, as she hugged her tightly; just as she had seen adults do to the children outside. 1704 stood still, not reciprocating the embrace, looking up at 2301 with lifeless eyes.

"Are you okay?" 1704 asked, looking at 2301's smiling face. 1704 looked at her questionably before realization hit her eyes.

"2301, you didn't."

2301 nodded, holding 1704's hands tightly in her own. 1704 raised her brows. "You sneaky little—"

"Girls, what is going on over here?" A male instructor walked over and 2301 had to force back the urge to yell that she wanted to be set free. She saw what happened to 3002, so she sat patiently, pretending everything was as it used to be.

2301 released 1704's hands and folded her arms. "Nothing. We were just on our way to get our energizer," 2301 lied.

She never lied before.

As she watched to see if the instructor believed her, she felt dangerous. It thrilled her in a way that made her stomach churn uncomfortably. The instructor clearly believed them and let them pass to get their medicine and energizer.

Which 2301 flushed down the toilet again. 

She drank the energizer slowly and looked around, as if her eyes have been opened. Everyone looked almost tired with their lazy helpless eyes. Is that how she had looked all this time?

"Time for work!" The instructor with eye bags exclaimed, walking to the doors of the building. 2301 followed her, her usual partners closely following. "Today," Eye bags started. "We're to wash every inch of the outside of this building. I do not want to see any slacking. Understood?"

With some obedient nods, they got to work. As they washed the walls of the building, 2301 tried to keep from complaining. Complaining meant she was sad, or mad, or annoyed. That meant complaining meant she had emotions, and she would not let the instructors take those away from her again.

So, she washed with the same enthusiasm she had all those days before. She kept her face emotionless until they scrubbed every inch of the buildings walls. Finally, when the instructor said they were allowed to go inside, 2301 threw the rag in rage.

"I am never working again. Never another day in my life!" She cried. 14 looked at her dumbfounded.

1704 forced a smile and looked back at 14. "She's tired," she said as if that explained everything. Luckily, 14 believed, or just chose to ignore it, and walked inside without a backward glance. 1704 turned to 2301 when everyone was out of hearing.