Chapter 1

"Hi Sarah!" 

"Hiii!" I said to some girl I didn't recognize. 

"Do you know that person?" said Chelsea

"Nope." I replied. 

My friends and I giggled. That actually happens a lot - not recognizing people who say hi to me I mean.

Chelsea, Tasha, and I were in town walking down the main avenue shopping around. Today was beautiful and was the last day of summer. We had decided to get some cute outfits for the bonfire tonight. The bonfire was a town high school ritual. Every year, on the last Saturday before school starts, all of the Seniors have a huge bonfire and partied out in the woods. 

Every year, Chelsea, Tasha and I, who have been best friends since we can even remember, have tried to find the cutest outfits. 

"Wanna go in here?" Tasha pointed to the cute boutique that is one of the only places in town that actually has cute outfits. 

We go into the store and start looking around. 

"So Sarah, do you think Connor will try to hook up tonight?" Chelsea wiggled her eyebrows and smiles slyly. 

"Oh cmon Chels stop!" I say laughing. 

"He totally is though Sarah. You know he has been into you forever. Now that we are Senior's he is finally going to go for it!" Tasha says. She picks out a pink crop top and holds it up. 

"Super cute." I say commenting on the top. 

Connor was a part of our friend group since we were little. All of us grew up in the same small town, and have gone to the same school forever. I always used to think Connor was a little bit immature but recently he really has started growing into himself. Tall, brown, short hair, and quarterback of the football team this year. Chelsea and Tasha think it is perfect since I am co-captain of the Cheerleading Squad. 

"I'm still not sure how I feel about him, guys. I mean we have been friends forever. I don't want to ruin that." I say while blankly scrolling through a rack of dresses. 

"Well! I think it's finally time for me to go for Trevor." Chelsea states. Chelsea has had a crush on Trevor, another football player and a guy from our friend group, since the 5th grade. Tash and I think he likes her too but is too baby to do anything about it. 

"Good! I can't stand the sexual tension." says Tasha. 

"Do you guys like this?" I hold up a light blue halter top that matches my eyes. 

"Love it." says Chelsea. 

"Well we are getting picked up by the boys at 9pm so do you want to come to my place and get ready together after dinner?" Tasha asks.

We buy the things we picked out and agree to meet up later at Tasha's place. We walk outside and I see my dad across the street. My dad happens to be the mayor and so is around town a lot. 

"There's my dad guys. I'll see you later tonight." Chelsea and Tasha say bye before walking away. I walk over to my dad and yell for him and wave. 

"Hi Sarah! Want me to drive you home?" says Dad

"Yes!! Thank you!" We get in my dad's Mercedes and start driving through town. I put my window down and breathe in the summer air. 

"So sweetie... did you start your college applications?" Ugh not again I think. 

"Yes Dad..." I say rolling my eyes. 

"Sarah don't roll your eyes at me. You know how serious we all are about going to Yale. And if not Yale then you have to at least get into an Ivy League."

"I know, Dad, I know. I'm almost done the application."

"Ok just don't let your grades slip this year. You need to keep your 4.0 GPA."

"I know..." I say lightly and put my chin in my hand and lean onto the side of the car.

My Dad and Mom met at Yale and have always wanted me to go. I guess I want to go there, too. I've always wanted to go to a good college and what else have I worked so hard in school for? 

We roll up to our house. My parents redid a Victorian home close to town. It is one of my favorite parts of living here. My favorite thing to do is sit on our wrap-around porch and just breathe in the fresh air. 

"Hey Dad I am going to the bonfire tonight. Could you drop me off at Tasha's later?" I say as we walk up the front steps.

"Sure honey." My dad looks at his phone and starts typing something on his email. 

I walk upstairs to my room. My mom is home and I can hear her humming in the kitchen. I can clearly smell the blueberry muffins she is making. 

"Sarah honey! How was your day?" My mom yells from the kitchen.

"Good!" I yell back before going to my room. I walk in, put my bags on the floor and flop onto my back on the bed. 

I feel so exhausted. This summer was so nice not having to do homework or worry about exams. Now that it's senior year, I have to worry about college applications and my future. I have always felt like I wanted to do well but I don't want to let my parents down if I don't get into Yale. 

"Honey?" My mom knocks at the door. "I brought you a muffin." 

"Thanks mom!" she walks into my room and smiles. "How was your day honey?" 

"It was fine. Tash, Chels, and I went shopping." 

"Oh that's so nice honey. Are you excited about school starting on Monday?"

"I think so. I'm excited about cheerleading." 

"You will do great this year sweetie I just know you will. Your the smartest girl I know." My mom reaches down and kisses me on the cheek. She hands me the warm blueberry muffin. 

"Thank you, mom." I smile at her and eat my comforting, sweet muffin. I can worry about school and college on Monday.