Chapter 4

What was I thinking.

Waking up the next morning at Tasha's place was like being hit by a brick. All I could do was replay the kiss in my head. After Chelsea had caught us, I thought I would never hear the end of it. But turns out she was a little more drunk than me and when we woke up she couldn't remember what happened for parts of the night.

"Chelsea! You can't remember?! You and Trevor totally hooked up last night!" Tasha yells.

"Stop it I don't believe you!" Chelsea responds. That couple was never going to figure it out if they only talked when they got drunk.

I decided to leave without reminding Chelsea or telling Tasha about the kiss. Things are sometimes better left unsaid. And it was never going to happen again.

My dad picks me up and we grab coffee together on the way back home. I wanted to spend the rest of the day curled up in bed under my covers but knew I had cheer practice tomorrow for the first day of school and needed to do some stretching and training. As co-captain I would be expected to know the choreography of all the dances and teach it to all of cheer squad. I wanted to be prepared.

While doing my routine I can't help my mind going back to Alex. His eyes...his hair...the smoke... I will need to stay away from him at school. I shouldn't get caught up in all of his bad behaviors if I want to stay on track for Yale.

—-

"Hi Sarah!" Another girl I forgot the name of. I think she was in my pre-calc class last year.

"Sarah nice seeing you again. How was your summer?" I think this guy's name is Matt.

"Good thanks for asking...Matt" he smiles and moves on so I think the name was right.

Walking the hallways back at school feels so good. Being back brings up so many good memories with my friends and the cheer squad. I feel a panic of nostalgia for it being our last year.

I stop by my locker - it's been the same since sophomore year - near all of our friends.

Someone places a hand on my locker before I get to open it.

"Hey Sarah" Connor leans on the locker and smiles brightly.

"O hey Connor!" He is wearing his usually outfit with his backpack hanging off one shoulder.

"What's you first class today - I've got Chem" he asks.

That's when Tash, Chels, Sean and Nolan pull up to their lockers laughing and chatting.

"First day of school guys whose excited!" says Chelsea.

"Not me" says Sean and other people chime in as well.

I pull out my paper schedule "looks like I have English" responding to Connor.

"Hey I'm in English!" Nolan says coming up behind me.

Connor looks disappointed but reluctantly drudges off to class. Nolan and I walk over together all the while chatting about our summers. 

We walk into class together laughing about a story Nolan was telling me about a swimming accident he had in the lake this summer. I decide to sit in the back with Nolan to my right next to the window. 

Even though I am a straight A student, this is where my friends usually end up sitting and I don't like to be too showy in the front with some of the know it alls. 

"Alright, class let's get started. Oh well come on Alex I know its the first day of school but we haven't got all day." the teacher exclaims. 

I look up immediately to see Alex walking into the classroom. He scans the room looking for a seat to take slowly which I realize happens to be the one to my left. 

Ugh of course this would happen to me. 

Alex strolls over slowly with his backpack basically falling off his shoulder. It looks like he put eyeliner on yesterday and slept in it (which happens to really bring out his eyes) and his hair hasn't been brushed. 

He looks at me briefly but no emotion passes his face before sitting down and throwing his bag to the side. 

Nolan gives me a sympathetic look. Nolan and Alex hadn't been super close when we were all friends back then but he understands the awkwardness there is because of it. In fact, Alex and Connor had been best friends before Alex went all downhill. 

During the rest of the class, Alex doesn't bother me at all. Sure I occasionally look over to see if he is writing notes. Which he to no surprise is not. He actually has his head down on his arms and I think he has fallen asleep. 

I jolt a little as the bell goes off signaling the end of class. I start to collect my things. 

"Are you going to just stare at me this entire year..." I look over to see Alex holding up his head with his hands on his desk giving me a smirk. 

"I was not staring at you." I say and go back to zipping up my bag. 

"Suurrrreee" he trails. 

"Are you going to even take a single note in this class or are you planning on being a 5th year here" I grumpily add while getting up from the desk. 

"Not everyone can be a goody two shoes like you missy" he picks up his bag as I walk out of the room. 

Ugh he is really getting on my nerves. He is just continuing to throw his life away! He even seemed drunk or something while talking to me. 

Nolan and I say our goodbyes as we head off to our next class. I decide to do my best to not think about him for the rest of the day. I should be thinking about school and cheer practice. I want to be at my best today.