Snape's Memories [Part 5]

Snape's memories then revealed that Dumbledore had been afflicted by a cast on , one of Voldemort's , prior to the start of Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts. Although Snape's knowledge of the enabled him to slow the spread of the curse, the curse would have ultimately killed Dumbledore within a year. Dumbledore, aware that Voldemort had ordered Draco to kill him, asked Snape to kill him instead as a way of sparing the boy's soul and of preventing his own otherwise slow, painful death. Although Snape was reluctant, even asking about the impact of such an action on his own soul, Dumbledore implied that this kind of coup de grâce would not damage a human's in the same way murder would; mercifully ending a life is different. Snape eventually agreed to do as the Headmaster requested and a plan was formed.

The memory showed Albus Dumbledore telling Snape that, if there is ever a time when Voldemort kept Nagini magically protected and always in his sight, Snape must then tell Harry that he is a seventh Horcrux, inadvertently created by Voldemort and that Harry must die in order for Voldemort to be killed. Snape felt tricked, upset that Dumbledore made him protect Lily's son only to have him die. Dumbledore asked if Snape had grown to care for Harry, but Snape spurned that possibility and produced his , a silver-white doe. Dumbledore asked Snape, "After all this time?", to which Snape replied, "Always.