07

Magnolia

•••

Au petit jour.

The alarming sound of my ringtone murmured in my ears even as his soft voice relayed on the other line, all panic. I tune it in as the roughness of a leash strains around my wrist, yanking, Elton jumps at the opportunity to leave. It doesn't matter that he's tired, just that he's all muscle and feels the need to be disobedient tonight.

I stare down at his tired mahogany eyes, gathering my bag up from the desk with the harsh plastic of the cell pressed against my flushing cheek. The hissing static burns my ear canal, "Meg, are you alright... I came to stop by and—" He trips carefully over his words, gulping, I hear him adjust the phone, as well as sirens drowning out the sweetness of his voice. It disperses into the wind as I assume he distances himself from the natural occurring disturbance. Rushing in worry.

"There's fucking cop cars surrounding your apartment and they won't tell me what happened... I'm seriously freaking out here. Please tell me you're safe." He paces, fully sounding out of breath. A rushing sigh infiltrates my chest as I register the situation, knowing everything's fine in the moment heals the sting of my throat.

"Rory, slow down. I'm safe." I say firmly, ensuring he knows it's true and not ninety percent an act like it actually was. I'm clawing my way out from spiraling into destruction, the most I can do is make sure that he's not pulling out his hair over me.

"Thank fuck." He curses brazenly, diluted as I hear the sound of a car door slamming shut, an all-consuming silence. "Where are you? I'm coming to pick you up."

I cross my arms firmly around each other, fighting the tickling breeze of early summer air. Though my clear advances to keep myself warm is no use, the goosebumps all down my bare legs say so. Murmuring in the effects of tickling, heavy winds. Whooshing the dusting from under my feet, I stare down at the long crack in the pavement. My lace is still unkempt, and loose out of the tie my converse wore.

Elton lays lazily on the concrete, not shielding the tiny pit of my ankles above my shoes. He's absolutely no help with a thick layer of fur, nearly falling asleep with how comfortable he looks all sprawled out. It's the only part of tonight that ticks the need for joy in me, that and his natural 'sad' resting face, only the result of his ever expressive eyebrows.

Uncoordinated, a soft tiring smile peels over my lips at the sound of creaking breaks. I glance up at the person through the foggy window, the unmistakable smile I see through the glass forces my hand to the door. Stopping when they reach over the center console to open the door for me, I'm greeted with the warming interior of the car, a fresh healing breeze of heat.

"You look like you got the piss taken out of you," Rory peeps up, running his hand through the front of his sandy blonde hair, before I can shrug or give a supple nod he clears his throat, "Sorry." He apologizes, implying what he said was rude, not merely anything but the truth.

I laugh dryly, "Don't be, It's been quite the day. Thank you for—" Halting my words, I gesture in the general area of the car, twirling my finger.

"Of course," He flexes his brows, the sweet reciprocation of his smile aids the tension in the air and I know that if he continues to look at me in that manner I'll forget I'm hurt with him. I didn't know how he managed that charm or the glint in his eye that instantly made you like him. It was something he, Niall, and Harry all managed and I had no clue where they got it.

It makes the three of them frustratingly insufferable to stay mad at.

I walk around to the backseat of his truck, opening the large door only to click my tongue in a command. Patting the seat as Elton jumps up, circling before he inevitably lays down to face the window. Rory reaches back to scratch the top of his head, watching me calmly as I nervously stare down at Elton. Sighing a breath of emotional exhaustion. In spite of this, the comforting energy takes the cake as I jump into the seat.