Chaper Twenty

Amelia had stayed with Essie. She went back to her house occasionally but her mother had not returned.
Eventually Amelia's things, and what little her mother had left behind were taken to Essie's place to be kept safe, as the house no longer belonged to them.
Amelia seemed to be sad and a little lost at times, but Essie could feel that at least the crushing fear and sorrow she'd felt were slowly leaving her.
As the time passed Amelia wished that things could be different. She loved Essie and her parents, but she longed for a home of her own. Essie could feel this, and she and Esmeralda could also feel that Amelia's Nan was close by somewhere and needed Amelia too.
They found that she had not been living so far away after all, and she came as soon as Julia contacted her and told her that Amelia was with them.
She was a short, elderly lady with grey rather messy hair and glasses, and was quite round in shape, but she hugged Amelia on sight and Amelia immediately felt safe and comfortable in her arms. It felt good, as if she was meant to be there.
They talked for quite a long time. She told Amelia stories about her dad and how much she missed him, and how happy she was to have found Amelia again. She hugged Amelia often and they both shared some moments of tears.
Amelia felt content, and she felt safe. Her Nan made her feel safe.
From then on Amelia's Nan called often until one day she said:
"Amelia, I would love it if you would agree to come and live with me. I have the perfect home for two, and all it needs is a special girl about your age and size. We could love and care for each other forever and my home is yours. It will be yours Amelia for as long as you want."
It happened that Amelia's Nan, Anne lived not very far away. Moving in with her Nan meant that Amelia could still go to school with Essie, and they would stay best friends. Essie could visit Amelia whenever she wanted to, and of course, Amelia could still visit Essie anytime too. The girls were delighted, and over the next few weeks the move was made with Essie's mum taking care of all the legal aspects of Amelia's move, just in case, and now Anne was Amelia's legal guardian.
Which was just as well, because it was some months later that Amelia's mum Alice returned.
At first she was quite angry and shouting about her things, and as a sort of afterthought, her daughter. Julia explained that she could have her things, they were kept safely stored, and told her where Amelia was.
She made sure that Alice knew that Amelia was legally in the care of her grandmother now, and that she would be quite welcome to visit her at any time, but that for Amelia's sake, it would be better if she was left there, especially as she was very happy.
Alice left to collect her belongings and, tossing her blonde hair over her shoulders stalked off, shouting that she would sort things out and soon Amelia would be back with her. They had no right to take her daughter away from her!

She did call to Anne and Amelia's house, but not straight away. When she did, she spoke to Amelia, and made plans for them to be together, but soon she was off again, saying she would be back before long. Amelia did not see her or hear from her again for some time.
Over the years, Amelia lived happily with her Nan, and she saw her mother occasionally when she rolled back into town, or called her now and then. There was never a plan with Alice, Amelia came to understand. She breezed in and out whenever she felt like it.
Amelia was rather philosophical about it all in the end. "She is who she is, and I cannot change that" she said very wisely "and I have all I need here with my Nan, and I still see mum when she feels like visiting. At least I am not at home alone anymore."
Essie and Amelia stayed best friends for many years, until they were quite old actually. Essie and her Grandmother spent a lot of the holidays together, and sometimes Amelia came too.
Essie became very practiced at using her gift well, and she even helped Hallie to adjust to her new lifestyle, with parents who cared more about helping others than spoiling her, by helping direct Hallie's thoughts towards happier things. It did take a while, but in the end, Hallie was a happier person too.
Hallie would never be her friend of course, but at least the teasing and taunts stopped.
Essie's dad asked her some time later, "Essie, I do think it would be quite safe now for us all to call you Esmeralda if you liked?"
Essie thought about it. She really did love the name. It was her name, but really, she was Essie, and she was happy to stay being Essie, with maybe an Esmeralda or two thrown in on a special occasion, or maybe even an Esmeralda Jade, because she really did have the most wonderful name, and family.