Chapter Eight

It was the week before Christmas. Christmas was Essie's favourite time of the year, both her mum and dad were on holidays and they were both more relaxed than they had been for a while.
"Christmas is such a wonderful time, it's so much fun doing things together, and everyone is happier." Essie thought, as she helped her mother and father gather the tinsel and ornaments to decorate their tree, and their house.
This was something they always did together, and she could not help but think as they hung the fairy lights and decorations "It would be so much nicer if my grandmother could have been here too."
Essie didn't say this though, she knew her mum and dad were worried still about so many things, but she was sure they felt the same. Maybe next year, she thought wistfully, as she wrapped presents to put under the tree.
On Christmas Day, Amelia came to spend the day with them and she seemed to be a little happier lately, although some of the feelings that Essie had picked up on were still there.
Essie had been able to find the perfect Christmas gift for Amelia. It had been easy really, she'd felt Amelia's longing every time she saw Essie's beautiful locket, now with the shining blue stone set in the middle.
Essie had enlisted the help of her mum and dad to find a pretty silver locket with a pink stone in the centre for Amelia.
When she opened it Amelia was entranced.
"Oh....How did you know?? I wanted one so badly!! Oh, I am never taking it off" Amelia said with tears in her eyes, as Essie helped her put it on, doing up the clasp at the back.
Before Amelia could say that she was sorry she didn't have anything quite as beautiful for Essie, Essie had made her laugh by stroking her green and silver scarf with Amelia's delicate hand painting on it and saying "I'm never taking this off either, I love it so much, but I need to work out how to hide it from Hallie and the teacher!"
Amelia stayed to enjoy Christmas with them most of the day this year, and seemed to be a little reluctant to go home when she did.
The holidays went by quickly with the girls spending some of their spare time at the Library and as much of their time together as they could.
They saw the New Year in together, with Amelia being allowed to sleep over at Essie's that night as a special treat.
They stayed up until the clock struck midnight, and Essie's mum and dad sat with them on their picnic blanket under the stars as they counted the New Year in.
Each of them made a wish, and each of them went to bed that night hoping their wishes would come true.