Chapter - 24

"Hide.."Olivia urged.

Falcon didn't have to be told twice. He helped Nadia up and led her to the farthest end of the cave. It wasn't enough protection but if the governor had come for them, Olivia would come in handy. Nadia was dazed but she forcefully dragged her attention back to the present. 

The sound from other side of the screen had gone silent and Nadia knew if she ever heard it again in this lifetime, it would be too soon.

Olivia was still holding the sole flashlight which illuminated the cave.

A silhouette fell on them. There were no hurried footsteps. The governor took his time leisurely walking towards them.

Nadia glanced nervously at the far end beyond the screen. Who was it? Was it friend or foe? That was an inane question. The correct one would be did he want them punished just as much as the governor did?

Nadia had never seen the governor. None of the South Kua people had ever seen him. She had pictured a pot bellied balding old man in his late fifties. The typical rich old evil men you saw in fiction.

Falcon was still holding her arm and his hold became tighter as the Governor came into view. If looks could kill, the expression on his face was scathing. Like he would like nothing better than to jump up that instant and pummel him down.

Nadia had to stifle a gasp as she saw the governor's face. Handsome. So viciously handsome. Looked like Olivia got her looks from her father. Even though he was well on his fifties, he could easily pass for his thirties.

He was wearing a grey colored suit and a tie to match. His hair was gelled and sleeked back. Nadia had only seen Mafia in fiction dressed and poised that well. He had a cigar dangling lazily on his fingers.

He had the same high nose and hallowed cheekbones as Olivia. But his eyes were black coals.

He took a drag and then stopped in front of his daughter, staring her down.

Olivia visibly quaked. "Dad?"

"What do you think you are doing here Olivia?" No sign of animosity. Placid calmness to his voice and face.

Was that a mask? Did he wear the same expression when he was torturing and interrogating his citizens? The same expression when he was with his family? when he ignored the pleas of the South for generations? Nadia balled her fists.

Olivia fidgeted, "I just.. got lost."

He regarded her. "Answer the question." A silent command.

Olivia tried again, "I felt like coming down to the tunnels and explore on my own and just lost the way."

"Without my permission?"

"I didn't want to disturb you for something so small ."

Another stretched silence. The more it prolonged the more agitated Olivia became.

"Are you alone?" The governor asked.

"Yes." Olivia answered confidently.

Governor gave her a small smile and softly patted her shoulders, "I have been worried sick searching for you. You were missing for more than a day. Never did I think you would actually be here, one place I had explicitly warned you was unsafe. To think you would directly disobey me."

"I am sorry dad. I was just going around in circles trying to find a way." Olivia clasped her hands around his arm and subtly tried to drag him back to the entrance.

The governor let his daughter do so for a few paces and then halted. "If you are here, let me tell you. You are going to find this sooner or later."