The Fucking Pentagon

Peter had just done what was possibly the stupidest thing ever, and that was truly saying something. The bar was impossibly high to begin with, but he might have just broken the scale. Being a klepto meant had stolen a lot of things he shouldn't have. Being an idiot meant he forgot how to use common sense. And being a speedster meant that he thought himself invincible. But he was forgetting just how fast consequences come, because never has Peter truly been able to outrun them. He knew he shouldn't have done what he did, but he did it and – oh shit! If his mom found out what just happened, he'd never hear the end of it.

Peter had just snuck back to his house to find Wanda was sitting on the couch in the basement waiting for him. Peter knew there was no way he was getting out of this situation. Eventually, Wanda would figure out what he had just done. Eventually, Wanda would learn of possibly the biggest mistake he'd ever made. Thinking back, Peter was an idiot. But how was he meant to turn down an offer like that?

"Where were you?" Wanda interrogates him the second Peter enters the room. She's looking down filing her nails but was quick to notice Peter's presence. She refused to look at him and Peter knew just then that she was pissed.

"I just took a run," he replied with a simple shrug of the shoulders. Maybe if he played it off as nothing happened, she'd drop it and he could confess at a later time when she's not about to tear his throat out.

"Rahat." Now she's looking him dead in the eye. Her left eyebrow is raised begging Peter to argue – to make this situation worse. There's no way Peter can just not tell her now. He schlumps his shoulders and sinks his head. Running a hand over his face, he looks his twin dead in the eye. She's waiting, watching Peter think things through before he makes everything worse. It's when Peter finally sighs that Wanda puts the nail file down and pats the spot next to her.

"Come on, out with it."

His feet are rooted to the ground but somehow, he manages to make his way across the basement floor and beside his sister.

"You can't tell mom," Peter says. He's looking at Wanda pleadingly. If their mom found out, that would be it. It would ruin everything. She'd probably become even more paranoid than she already was when it came to keeping the twins safe. She'd always been scared that someone would come and try to take them away. She hated Peter's petty theft because it just drew more attention to them than necessary but at least over time she became more desensitized when the cops came. But if the feds from the pentagon came knocking, it would give their mother an aneurism. He'd probably die if their mom found out, but even worse would be her having to look over her shoulder constantly paranoid of them coming for Peter because of what he'd just done today. He couldn't have it.

Wanda must have understood because she sighed and nodded.

"That bad?" she asked him with a thick swallow.

"Potentially," he settled on answering. "I don't think I got caught, but thinking back on it, I don't really know who those guys were. I just knew they were like us and you know me. I just didn't think it through and..." Peter trailed off. He knew he was beginning to speak faster than the rate Wanda would understand him and took a deep breath. He couldn't look her in the eyes.

"Peter," she said placing a hand on her brother's knee. "What guys? I thought you were just brought into the station," she told him slowly.

"They weren't cops," He confessed. Wanda's head snapped up. Peter knew she was freaking out about what he must have gotten caught up in then. She was probably thinking he robbed a Cartier vault or something for the 'not cops.' Her eyes were darting. She was reading Peter's face for every detail of the story, hoping that she had heard something wrong.