Chapter 1: The Fall of the Kingdom

I've been planning this out for a while, but I never planned the beginning, so this was the best I could do, lol. Brought to you by me watching Starkid's Twisted repeatedly. Hope y'all enjoy!!

Tw: Remus, swears, major character death

Remus and Roman breathed heavily as they ran side-by-side through the long halls, the heavy footfall of their pursuers behind them.

The day was bright and sunny, Roman and Remus stood at their parents sides; the older with perfect posture, and Remus could care less about his. They were waiting for King Verone and Prince Cade to arrive so the two kings could discuss trading matters, Roman would also be there, since he's first in line at 23 years old while Remus is 22, along with Prince Cade, who's an only child. That leaves Remus to be left to his own devices.

The carriage arrives, and out steps King Verone and Prince Cade. King Verone is a young, charming fellow with dark hair and silver tongue, his son, Cade, is a slimy weasel in Remus' opinion - which is saying something since Remus is rarely deterred by people.

"King Verone," Remus' father spoke, respectfully bowing, "welcome back to Medías," Verone bowed back.

"Thank you, King Francis, it's lovely to be here, as always," Remus didn't pay attention to the niceties, but soon they were moving inside. He was let go to wander the grounds, while his father, mother, and brother went into the tea room to chat with Verone and Cade.

"Heya, Janus!" Remus greeted the gardener's son, who sighed.

"Remus, what is it? I'm working right now," the prince grinned at his friend's annoyance.

"Come ooonn, I'm bored! And I'm sure you can hang out with me for as long as they take. Don't you wanna steal the chef's cigars and cookies?" Remus waggled his brows, a mischievous glint in his eye. He knew he won when Janus sighed with an amused smile on his face.

"Alright, let's go."

After a successful mission, Remus and Janus were wandering down the hall to take their stolen goods outside when they heard muffled yelling. Remus wasn't one to freeze at loud noises, but he did this time, so Janus stopped beside him; when Remus does freeze, it's for a good reason. The door to the tea room was thrown open and Verone stormed out, Cade right behind him.

"You have made yourself an enemy of Verone! I hope for the sake of both our kingdoms you change your mind in the following days!" he yelled before turning the corner.

Roman accidentally stumbled and Remus tugged on his arm.

"Come on, we gotta go!" they were almost there, almost out the door, when Roman fell with a pained cry. Remus looked back to see an arrow lodged in his chest, in between his lower ribs.

"No no no no! You gotta get up Ro, come on!" Remus tried to get Roman up, but another agonizing yell made Remus stop.

"L - listen Remus, I lo - I love y - you," his breath was becoming shallow, sending Remus into a panic. He lost his parents, he can't lose his brother.

"No, you - you're gonna be just fine, Ro. N - nothing can get - get the best of you," Remus' voice cracked as he choked on a sob, tears finally falling, "y - you're Roman, remember? You're strong, you - you can d - get up."

"Heh, I am strong Re. But I - I don't think this is j - just a - a scratch from your m - morningstar," his eyes started to droop, "y - you gotta get out. Go an - and live." They both were crying at this point, Remus rapidly shaking his head. Roman pushed Remus back with what strength he has left when the footsteps got closer.