Chapter 3: Getting to Like You, Getting to Hope You Like Me

Heeeyyy, so sorry it's been a while, and by a while I mean I'm graduating in 3 days. I've just lost all motivation for writing till now, but this now keeps my mind occupied so I don't have to think about the fact that I'll no longer be a high schooler, lol. Oh how time flies, and speaking of how time flies, I worry I rushed the plot in this a little. Idk, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy this chapter, brought to you by me watching Vox Machina repeatedly, which is maybe a problem!!

Warning: mentions of injury and blood, and Remus shamelessly flirting

The next three days Patton worked hard, Remus could see that. He'd honestly make a good pirate if he wasn't so soft-hearted, Remus figured. And no matter how often Remus orders Patton about the ship, the crew rarely did it unless they need an extra pair of hands. Patton always agreed and did what Remus said with a smile and sheer determination, no matter how tired Patton seemed. Honestly, Remus doesn't know why he ordered Patton around so often. Sure, that's what a cabin boy is for, but he never ordered someone to do something he could easily do himself. Perhaps it's just because Remus is wondering why he's here. Why did this happy, cute little prince just abandon his home where they're cared for and fed with his younger brother?

"You wanted to see me, Captain Duke?" Patton asked, standing at the entrance of Remus' quarters. Remus ignores the strange feeling at the sight, the want he felt of getting used to seeing Patton at his door like that.

"Yes, Pat, come in. And you can just call me 'Cap' or 'Duke' you know," he can't get attached to this prince, he won't stick around long, and he's probably looking for a pretty girl to marry anyway. He honestly doesn't know how he immediately fell for Patton, when the glasses-wearing man fell in front of him all Remus could think was: 'cute boy!' and that was partially the reason Remus spared them. It didn't go away after a day or two like Remus thought it would - Remus had no problem getting guys, believe him - and this wasn't like he wanted a one-night-stand from Patton, who probably isn't the type to do those. For some reason this is sticking.

"Oh, okay then, Cap," Patton hesitantly used the shortened term and walked in, closing the door behind him, "What do you need?" Remus bit back the lewd response that came to mind, he called Patton in for a specific reason, don't get off-track.

"I was just wondering something. You don't have to answer of course, but it seems to me you and your brother were living in the lap of luxury, being princes and such. So why throw all that away and run?" the real question Remus wanted to ask was why Patton's father didn't want him back, but perhaps a more vague question is best. Patton knows him as a ruthless pirate captain, it would be foolish to give personal information if it can be used against you. Remus studied Patton, noticing he slightly shrunk in on himself, and was quiet for a short period of time while looking around, probably thinking of an answer.

"Well, uhhh, my father was going to force Virgil to marry a princess, but he doesn't want to, and I can't stand to see him do something that'll make him miserable. So I suggested we run away that night, and we did," Patton finished. That was his reason for Virgil, but not for him, Remus knows he isn't saying something, but he won't pry. It's not his place.

"Okay then," Remus nods, and Patton visibly relaxed at Remus accepting his response. So there was something he's holding back, Remus observed, "we'll be reaching Samhain Port tomorrow, you and Virgil are free to walk around as long as I, or Janus, are with you. It may be a neutral port, but that doesn't stop people from robbing others, or starting fights. As long as we stay low we'll be fine," Remus informed Patton, who nodded in response.

"Okay, thanks, Cap," Patton bounded out of Remus' quarters, the pirate captain following soon after when he heard dinner was ready. As Remus observed everyone sitting around and talking, he was somewhat happy to find Patton conversing with the crew, and even Virgil chimed in once in a while. Remus was glad Patton and Virgil have started to find their place in the crew, and seemed to get the hang of their jobs easily enough. Virgil shifting things about, cleaning the deck, and Remus had him occasionally helping Janus with lookout since they seemed to get along. And Patton tying and untying ropes to raise or lower the sails, securing supplies they have, helping the other crew members with something, or getting stuff Remus would ask for.