Chapter 35 - Set up

I had been wanting to do something to give back to the boys. Most had been welcoming even if it had taken some time for them to warm up to me. It took me a good part of the day, but by afternoon I had gathered a staggeringly large amount of edible leaves, which Jace had pointed out to me, and berries that I was able to mix into a salad and present in a simple display. I had pushed a few tables together to make enough room for everyone to sit together.

The time I had spent gathering, with only the company of distant avian chatter overhead, had given me the chance to calm my mind and discard any fanciful imaginings of confronting Pan with my newfound knowledge of his trickery. I doubted the act would produce from him the desired outcome of shock and defeat I had drawn up in my mind. I tried my best to focus on maintaining a positive and healthy mental state, enjoying the beautiful day and calming sensations of the forest surroundings.

I was able to prepare some leftover meat to create a hardy meal along with a mashed berry dressing I planned to add as a finishing touch. Looking at the table, I was pleased with my handiwork. Each place had a wooden bowl with meat and salad. A large bowl of berry dressing with a crude label I had constructed out of some thick, curved bark sat at the center of the table. There was still some time before evening, and I wanted to add a special finishing touch.

I set out through the woods in the direction of some wildflowers I had seen earlier. I took note of the smile that had made its way on my face as a colorful bird winged through the foliage above. Having spent most of the day in the forest alone, I was startled when a voice broke through the stillness.

"You didn't listen to a word I said, did you?"

It was Liam's stoic countenance that greeted me when I turned around.

"Now what's this about?" I countered, crossing my arms in mock seriousness. Being in a good mood, I wasn't willing to have it spoiled by a grumpy Liam.

"You're going to get into some serious trouble if you aren't careful Rayvn."

"What is it this time?" I asked halfheartedly, stooping to pull up some lovely pastel colored flowers.

"Pan, he's .... he's on to you." Liam hesitated.

"What does that even mean?!" I huffed, turning to stare at him, irritation blazing through my retinas.

"I suppose you didn't see him follow you out of Legend after your conversation with Will yesterday?" Liam lorded.

"W-what?" I was taken aback.

"I told you to be careful, something is breaking.... I can feel it."

"It was a completely harmless conversation! What are you even talking about? You aren't making any sense Liam!"

"Neverland! Don't you get it?!" Liam through up his hands in frustration, letting them fall to his hair. He tugged on his locks absentmindedly, brow creasing. "You don't.... you don't get it and I don't blame you. Just please Rayvn. Please be careful. I don't know what's coming but whatever it is.... it's not good."

"By 'careful' are you telling me not to talk to Will? Liam, that's low even for you." I was finding it hard to reign in my emotions and clamped my jaw.

"I didn't say that." He countered, choosing his words carefully.

"But that's what you are implying isn't it?" I managed. Liam only turned his head away and I continued, "This is stupid. Will is a good friend and even if it was something more, I sure wouldn't let a jealous Pan destroy our friendship just because he is a control freak who thinks he's king of an island."

Something deep inside told me I was making a mistake. A small voice screamed not to underestimate Pan, but I didn't listen. I was sick and tired of the fear of this one boy controlling my life and the harness he had on my emotions. It was time he knew I would no longer play by his ridiculous rules.