Chapter 1.

The sound of my stomach gurgling seems to fill the waiting room, Bucky's hand is sweaty in my own, the look on his face is almost amusing, looking around in pure fear, any noise and he turns his head quickly in that direction. His left hand occasionally twitching, like he wants to instinctively place it over my stomach.
"Eden Barnes?" A nurse calls and I stand with him close to my side as she ushers us into her room and invites me to climb onto the bed for my ultrasound.
"So you're how far along?"
"About 6 weeks." I beam and Bucky squeezes my hand as she presses the gel into my stomach and begins moving around to look for our baby.
Silence fills the room and my heart pounds in my chest, waiting for—the heartbeat, it's strong and loud, a steady rhythm that brings tears to my eyes.
"Our baby!" I quietly say to Bucky who's also crying tears of joy through the biggest smile I've ever seen.
The nurse does all her checks, telling us how healthy our baby looks as we eagerly hang off her every word. "I'll see you back here in two weeks, just for some tests, make sure everything's developing." I nod and we take the ultrasound pictures from her, waiting until we're in the safety of Bucky's car before we take it upon ourselves to utterly freak out.
"You're gonna be a dad!" I look softly at Bucky, the images of him with our baby dancing around my mind make me so happy I could burst.
"You're gonna be a mom!" He says and a small part of me laughs at the American pronunciation. "Mum!" I correct and he smiles a toothy grin and copies my accent the best he can, "mum."

***

The compound is quiet when we get home, and as we see no one on the way in, Bucky and I head straight to our room. He said straight away he wanted us to have my room and not his, not only is it bigger, but he said mine felt more homey than his, considering how little belongings he had, I understood where he was coming from. And so for the last 7 months since he proposed, this is where we are, this is our, what I call, temporary home.
Bucky likes being here, and I know why, here I'm so much safer than anywhere else, I'm surrounded by our family and friends who live here full time.
Just as my brain goes to thinking of looking at houses, the newest face in the compound appears as if from no where.
"Hey guys! How was the scan? Is it a niece or nephew I'm having?" Harley cheekily smiles at me as he playfully pokes my belly.
Bucky stiffens beside me, "I've not even thought about whether it'll be a boy or a girl!"
Harley gives me a look and we both look at my frowning husband, "what're you expecting it be? A flerkin?"
I laugh at myself and now it's my turn to be stared at.
"A what?" Bucky laughs at me.
"Flerkin.. yknow... like Goose.. Fury told me about it at our wedding..." I look between them both. Amused but totally stumped on what the hell i'm talking about, Harley raises his eyebrows at Bucky, "is that a pregnancy thing or does she always talk about things no one has heard of?"
"Hey!" I take a turn prodding him.
"Dad will know! And Morgan knows!"
Harley smiles at me, "okay okay! Anyway, I'm going to watch a film with Pete, you guys wanna join?"
I shake my head no and make the excuse of being tired, truly a film with my two adopted brothers sounds good, but there's a little rivalry between them at the moment that makes being around the pair just a little too intense.
"I'll get us some cocoa, can you pick a movie?" Bucky smiles at me as he pulls back the duvet ready for me to climb into bed.
"Of course!" I say sleepily as I pull off my clothes to climb into bed, the day has tired me out, a busy morning spent with Nat and Frankie and then my scan has me beat.
Bucky returns with our drinks and looks at the blank tv, "couldn't find anything?" He laughs and I shake my head from my duvet cocoon.
"I'm not in the mood for tv, I just want to cuddle and sleep!" I give him my biggest playful smile and he looks at me with the softest gaze.
"Perfect, me too!"
I can't help but watch him undress, after all this time I still can't get enough of him, the way his boxers cling to his thighs, how his muscles flex as he does the simplest of things, the way his right arm has a vein that pops out making my insides go crazy.
As he climbs into the warm bed beside me I bask in his warmth, skin always toasty and ready for me to snuggle into, putting my cold feet on his legs as he playfully rolls his eyes at me but pulls me closer regardless.
It's as I'm falling asleep, snuggled warm into Bucky's neck, my legs wrapped around him when voices echoing through the compound startle me. My first instinct being to look to Bucky, who's eyes are now wide open and is frowning as he looks as though he's listening to the voices through the walls.
"What's going on?" I ask but he motions for me to wait.
"There's someone here?" He questions out loud, confused. I begin to ask him another question—whether we need to worry but as if right on cue, an alarm begins blaring around the compound, Bucky immediately gets himself out of bed and dressed, throwing clothes at me and opening our door and looking out.
"Get dressed!" He shouts over the noise and the panic in his face makes me rush as fast as I can to get my clothes on.
"Bucky what's happening?" He looks like he knows exactly what it is.
The alarm sounds different to the last time I heard it, there was a fire when I first arrived, but that was loud, echoing, this one is piercing, like there's a numbness to the way it penetrates your ears and eats at your brain.
Bucky looks at me as I'm dressed and his nostrils flare as pain flashes across his face, "I need you to stay here."
"Noooo." I say, terrified.
This feels like a mistake, a really fucking big one, and he seems to see that on my face as he looks down the hall and then back to me, panic clear as I look at him. The last time he left me...
He looks down the corridor again and nods at me, "okay, okay." He pulls me into his arms and kisses my head, pulling me along behind him to the main foyer of the building. That's where we're always to meet if something happens.
As I'm running, with no signs of smoke or fire, maybe I am safer in my room, at least I think, but Bucky has no way of knowing what's going on if he stays with me, he needs to be there with everyone and truthfully, so do I.
Heading downstairs to the foyer, a huge crash comes from above, the roof caving in, debris falling all over the place, a thick fog of dust that causes both Bucky and I to cough—Bucky quickly trying to shield me from it.
But I can't allow him to move me, as when I look over the banisters I see a large man standing amongst the rubble, his stature is huge and I can't take my eyes off him as the dust settles.
"Fuck." Bucky says as he pulls me right into his side and his expression gives away the severity of this, I know exactly who the man is and I'd almost convinced myself he wasn't quite real until now seeing him in the flesh.

This is serious, and every hair on my body seems to stand on end as the blonde man notices us stood on the stairs above him, I'm looking him in the face.

It's fucking Thor.