E P I L O G U E

"And it's Max Verstappen who takes the win here in Belgium after an amazing race!"

He did it. He won. Everything fell into place. The Belgian Grand Prix will be in my memory as the Grand Prix that changed my life. Three years. Three years since the accident that changed my life. I lost my grandparents on my way to this Grand Prix, but it's also the Grand Prix I saw Max winning, for the first time as his girlfriend. 

After he asked me to be his girlfriend everything went better. We stopped fighting over ridiculous things, our parents were super happy for us, everyone on the grid was happy for us, his fans loved me but most important: we were happy

I jumped out of my seat in the RedBull garage and ran to Parc Fermé with the rest of his team. When we arrived he had just got out of his car and he pointed to the sky. I felt the tears dwelling up when he did that. "He did this with them in his mind. He did this for them. They watched over him today. They gave him this victory today.", that's what I thought. He took his helmet and balaclava off and he came to us. He celebrated with his team until he noticed me. He ran towards me and picked me over the barriers. He spun me around while I patted his back. 

"That was amazing Max! I'm so proud of you! And when you pointed to the sky, it made it all even better. Thank you liefje, that was beautiful." I said, and he smiled at me. "This one's for them. For your grandparents and for you. I love you, kleine." he said. "I love you too maatje."

After that he went straight to the podium. I stood in front of the podium together with his sister, his parents, my parents and Christian Horner. 

"He started performing better after you two got official, Joy. You really motivate him." Christian said and I smiled. "Thank you Christian, I try my best." I said, and Christian gave me a hug. 

Max received his trophy and I could clearly see that he was so happy. He grew up in Belgium, so this must be even more amazing for him. I smiled the whole time at him when the anthem started playing. Although I do have to admit that every time the national anthem of the Netherlands starts playing, I feel a little bit sad that it's not the Belgian one. But ofcourse I understand why he chose to represent the Netherlands. 

After the podium I started walking away until I felt someone grabbing my arm. I snapped my head to the person and I saw that it was Max. 

"Come with me." he said, and he dragged me with him. "Where are we going?" I asked him, very confused. "You'll see." he answered. 

He took me with him on the now empty podium. We sat down and we admired the view on the track. 

"I'm so lucky to have you." he said while I laid my head on his lap. "And I'm very lucky to have you too." I said and he looked down at me. 

We watched the sun set over Spa-Francorchamps and we noticed two white birds dancing in the sunset. He took my hand and gave it al little squeeze. 

It's at moments like this that I know, that I will love him

Until My Final Breath.