Opposites Attract

Chapter One

That Girl

Drew Holiday

Dysfunctional? Not even. Dysfunctional is a family whose mother's sister is dating their son's best friend, whose youngest daughter is dating her mother's ex and whose father is old enough to be his children's grandfather. If only my family was dysfunctional, but we're not. We're... difficult. 

You see, if we were dysfunctional, I wouldn't be having this conversation I'm having with my father right now.

'Drew!' my father snapped displeased. 'Are you even listening to me?'

'Do you want the truth...?' I started. 'Or do you want me to say what you want to hear?'

'Drew...' he growled.

'No.' I admitted. He sighed.

'Is this some kind of joke to you?' he asked in exasperation. He bit at his lip angrilly and stared at me. 'Because if it is... we're in deep trouble.'

'Yeah, a little bit,' I said sarcastically. 'Despite the fact that I've grown up knowing about all this, it still seems ridicuous.' he sighed and ran his fingers throgh his hair.

'Drew, this is serious,' he said in a strict tone.

'Serious? You're asking me to take over a pack of werewolves.' I said eyeing him agitated. He sighed again.

'You're next in line for Alpha; you can't expect me to expect any less of you.' he said, this time it was my turn to sigh.

'I don't see what the big deal is...' I muttered.

'You. Don't. Have. A. Mate.' he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

'So what if I don't have a mate yet? So what if I don't have a mate at all?' I defended my self. He laughed for the first time in our conversation. I sighed. He knew as much as I did that I wanted a mate more than anything. I also needed one with my position as next in line. Sadly, I haven't found my mate yet, and was beginning to think I might not have one at all. All my friends had their mates, and I was the only one left. Every time I thought about who she might be, and where she was, I pictured meeting the most beautiful girl in the world and she'd take my breath away. She'd be soft and angelic and nothing and no one would ever do her wrong. She'd be fragile and perfect and she'd be mine. I knew she was out there; she just had to be. But until then I was dating Kristy Thompson, gag. Fake and blonde and plastic all over... but she was my type. Or so they say, eyes roll.I'm what you would call your stereotypical popular jock guys, yes. The one who always has a string of girls on his arms and is captain of more than one sports team.

'So, you'll need to find one and mark her before I get to old to be Alpha,' he grinned, whilst giving me a good-natured slap on the back.

'You're forty-six Dad,' I rolled my eyes.

'And getting older,' he reminded me as he left the room. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. What to do? What to do?

During our education on everything werewolf, we were described in-depth on how it would feel when we met met our mates, and I couldn't wait to feel it. When you look in their eyes for longer than a glance, it's only you and them, and nothing else will matter. When you touch, sparks will fly, electricity will course. And when you kiss... your very core is supposed to melt. I wasn't a person who wanted to be alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sighed and walked along with my friends. Danny was rambling on about the movie that he and his mate Kelsey had seen last night. I didn't exactly enjoy listening to my friends talk about their mates all starry eyed if you catch my drift. I just nodded and smiled, portraying the shallow modelish look that I put on every day. The thing is, when you go to a school full of humans, things get boring pretty quick and everything falls into a routine. You see, if I could, if it was even logical, I would have humans as my really close friends. But the thing is; you can't go to them with your problems, because most of your problems are werewolf related, and humans are not allowed to know. You see, we mate within our own kind, we have friends within our own kind and we live within our own kind, it's just how we are.