one. 𝚋𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚢

chapter one

chapter one.
barry

BEER, PETROL AND GRASS. That's what the inside of Barry's trailer smelt like. It wasn't necessarily a bad smell, nothing Faith wasn't used to, especially the beer. The bad thing about the rusted trailer was that it was so god damn hot inside.  Not a day—on—the—beach type of hot, but a hot which was sticky and made the place feel more cramped than it looked. The standing fan next to the couch — now Faith's bed as so generously given by Barry — barely did it's job of cooling even a fly down, and the piece of plastic looked like it was seconds away from snapping blade first onto the floor. Home sweet home.

As Faith took in the picture of her life for the next God knows how many months, she continued to zone out while Barry rambled on about some house rules while she lived under 'his roof'. There is no damn roof, you live in a box with wheels. Faith nodded in his direction to at least make it look like she was listening to him, but really, she was staring at the shredded, dusty and damp couch she now had to call a bed. She was used to these conditions, but fuck, was she tired of it. She sighed.

"What? You wanted a double bed or 'sum?" She heard his mocking tone and shook her head with raised eyebrows. The drained girl suddenly felt bad for her thoughts a second ago. He was the only family member that was willing to take her in for a couple of months while she tried to make a decent amount of money to hopefully get her own place. He was giving her the opportunity others wouldn't. Whether it was out of the goodness of his heart or because he didn't care either way — she didn't know, maybe she'd find out.

"Good. Cause you on the wrong side of the OBX if you wantin' even a pull out bed," he chuckled, but it was definitely not a joke. He carried on talking about something to do with his room.

Second cousin? Third cousin? Faith was trying to remember how Barry was even related to her. She's only ever met him twice and she only briefly remembers one of the two times. She ponders on the thought if the two are even blood related. She doesn't think so.