Chapter 21

Harley answers the call to meet Derek at the old Hale house, along with Erica and Boyd. She lets herself in as the group is talking, standing silently by the door.

"When?" she hears Derek ask.

"Tonight," Erica shrugs.

"What's tonight?" Harley asks.

"They're leaving," Derek scoffs.

"Everyone's gonna be at the game," Boyd explains as Harley walks over to stand next to Derek, both crossing their arms over their chests. "We figured it was the best time."

"It's not like we want to," Erica says, quickly looking away when she makes eye contact with Harley, who frowns slightly.

"What do you want?" Derek asks, taking a step forward.

"Since I just turned 16 a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license. I can't do that if I'm dead, you know."

"I told you there'd be a price."

"You didn't say it'd be like this," Boyd defends.

"How do you intend on surviving?" Harley asks, interrupting the three. "Wolves come in packs. How are you gonna live without an alpha?" The two stay silent.

Derek scoffs again. "You wanna look for another pack?" Erica looks away in shame. "How are you even gonna find one?"

"We think we already did," Boyd explains. There's silence for a moment.

"Well," Harley says, clearing her throat. "I think the point of me coming was to talk them out of it, but that obviously won't have any effect, so I'm no longer needed." She nods at Derek, leaving the house. She stops short when Erica grabs her arm as she walks past.

"You could come with us," Erica says softly.

"Thanks," Harley says, "But no thanks. I don't want to give up just because things get hard." She jerks her arm away and leaves the house, ignoring Erica calling her name after her.

Later in the day, Harley's sitting in the back room of the shelter with Deaton and Scott, making small talk as they work on a dog. Somehow sensing Harley's anger, Scott had asked her to come and hang out to take her mind off things. All three look up when the door chimes and the dogs start barking. Harley shares a look with Scott, hesitantly peeking around the corner to find Isaac, hands shoved in his pockets, looking sheepish.

"It's okay Isaac," Deaton says, opening the gate. "We're open." Harley tugs on her bottom lip, hoping he isn't here to bear bad news.

The four sit in the back room in silence for a while, until Isaac sniffs and speaks up.

"Why does it smell like that?" he asks, referring to the dog on the table. He looks between Deaton and Scott, who are both smiling softly. "What?"

"Scott said almost the same thing to me a few months ago," Deaton explains, Scott nodding in agreement. "One day he could somehow tell the difference between which animals were getting better and which were not."

"He isn't getting better, is he?" The dog whimpers softly, as if in agreement. Deaton shakes his head. "Like cancer."

"Osteosarcoma," Deaton says. "It has a very distinct scent, doesn't it?" Scott nods. Harley watches Isaac as he stares sadly at the dog. "Come here," Deaton says to Isaac. 

As Isaac walks over, Harley pushes herself to her feet and goes to stand across from him, next to Scott. Deaton says, "I know you're well aware of what your new abilities can do for you. Improved strength, speed, and healing. You ever wonder what it could do for others?" Harley looks quickly at Scott, confused, but he just smiles sadly. "Give me your hand," Deaton says to Isaac. He lets Deaton guide his hand to the dog. They all watch as something crawls up Isaac's veins, turning them a darker shade.

"What did I do?" Isaac asks.

"He took his pain," Harley realizes.

"Only a little bit," Deaton says. "But sometimes a little can make quite a difference." Isaac hides his face in his arm, causing Scott to speak up.

"It's okay," Scott says. "First time he showed me, I cried too." Isaac looks to Harley, who's already smiling at him. She reaches across the table and grabs his hand. He squeezes right back.

Harley helps Scott clean up as Isaac sits on the table.

"They're leaving, tonight," Isaac says. "During the game."

"Why are you telling us?" Scott asks. 

"I'm not telling you, I'm asking you. I'm asking for advice."

"From us? Why?"

Isaac sighs. "Because I trust you."

"Why?"

"You always seem to want to do the right thing."

"I usually have no idea what I'm doing."

"I think that's what makes it great, Scott," Harley says, nudging him. 

"I actually never have any idea what I'm doing," Scott says.

"Do you want to let me know what you're doing right now?" Isaac asks. 

"We're not going anywhere, if that's what you mean. We have too many people here who need us."

"Well, I guess that makes me lucky, cause, uh- cause I don't' have anyone, so." Isaac pushes himself to his feet and leaves the room. "I think I'll go with them," he says as he leaves. "Good luck with the game."

"Thanks but I'm not playing. I can't even think about playing some meaningless game right now."

"You weren't at practice last week, were you?"

"No, I skipped it, why?"

"And you didn't hear?"

"Hear what?"

"Jackson was there. As if nothing had happened. He's playing tonight." With that, Isaac leaves. After a moment, Harley sighs, then jogs outside after him.

"Hey, Lahey!" she calls, waiting for him to turn around and acknowledge her.

"Yeah?" he asks.

"If you want to run like a coward, fine," she huffs, "But you can't use that excuse. You can't say you don't have anyone here who cares about you. That's not fair. That's not fair because that's not true." She swallows the lump in her throat. "So, yeah." She turns and marches back inside before he can respond.

Harley walks into the bleachers, taking a seat next to Mrs. McCall, smiling awkwardly.

"Hi," Harley says, shifting in her seat. "Look, I just wanted to apologize. What I said-"

"Was absolutely right," Mrs. McCall says, smiling at her. She grabs Harley's hand as she continues talking. "You stood up for him when no one else would. And you're right. I should be proud of him. I'm very glad he's come to find friends like you." Harley smiles at her, soon finding herself laughing at the Sheriff freaking out about Stiles playing. She shifts to make room for Lydia, who sits on the other side of her. Lydia smiles softly at her, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"All good?" Harley asks.

"All good," Lydia confirms. 

Harley giggles with Lydia as they watch Stiles play. Harley's attention is drawn to the bench when someone sits next to Scott. Her face melts into one of disbelief once she realizes who it is. She excuses herself and makes her way down to the bench. 

Once she gets to the bench, she hears Scott. "You came to help," he sighs.

"I came to win," Isaac smirks. Harley hesitates before sitting next to Isaac on the bench.

"Changed your mind?" she asks, feigning innocence.

"I realized I had some people back home worth fighting for," he says. "One of them who never fails to put me in my place." Harley smiles widely, bumping shoulders with him.

"Go get some goals," she says, squeezing Scott's shoulder and making her way back to her spot.

**A/N nice chapter end for once?? Unheard of