Chapter 6

Word Count: 6429

(TW // Panic attack, self harm, mild violence)

THE NEXT DAY, I woke up on the familiar futon on the floor of Deku's room. The sun was peeking through the curtains and lit up the room the slightest bit. I looked over to my right to see Deku roll over in his sleep and smiled. It was good to be back.

I grabbed my phone from the charger and opened it. A text from an unknown phone number was the first notification and I quickly clicked it and skimmed the contents.

Hey (Name), it's Amano Kojika, the girl from the entrance exam? You said you wanted to know when I got into the support course, so here you go!

Attached was a picture of an acceptance letter, featuring Amano's name at the bottom. I smiled wide. "I knew she'd make it in," I said softly before quickly typing up a response congratulating her and asking where she wanted to go to celebrate. I added her into my contacts and then turned off my phone, sat up, and stretched. I rolled out my neck, grabbed a sweatshirt to throw on over my pajama shirt, and walked out of the room.

Inko was sitting on the couch in the living room, watching the news with three plates of grilled fish, along with two bowls of rice, on the coffee table in front of her. She had another bowl of rice in her hands, eating from it with chopsticks. She turned her head at the sound of me coming in and smiled. "(Name), good morning. Did you sleep well?"

I walked over and plopped down next to her. "Best I slept in a while, actually. How about you?"

She nodded. "The same. Having you back just-" She made a waving motion with her hands "-made all my worries go away. I slept like a baby!" She gestured to the fish on the table. "Please, help yourself to breakfast, dear."

"Thank you." I didn't need another invitation as I grabbed chopsticks and a plate of fish and started to eat. I hesitated for a moment. "I'm sorry, again."

She shook her head. "You don't have to apologize again, you already have three times. I was just very worried, especially after the villain attack." She set down her bowl and sighed. "You haven't been here very long, I know, but the moment you walked in, I felt like..." She hesitated, looking for the right words before clearing her throat and starting over.

"Izuku came home that day - the day you stood up for him - with a smile on his face I haven't seen in a long time. He spoke so highly of you and I knew I had to meet you. When you came, you were so polite and sweet, but I could tell-" She lifted a hand to her own chest "-that you were hurting, right here.

"Then you said those things about living alone and I had to let you stay. And in these past few weeks, you've become like a son to me." She gave me a soft smile. "So when you left, I felt the heartbreak of a mother. I'm so glad you've come back."

My eyes welled with tears but I set down my food and wiped my eyes quickly. "I'm glad too," I said, giving her a smile I hoped would convey the feelings of happiness and comfort that had exploded in my chest.

Music started playing from the TV and I looked up to find a news anchor discussing one of All Might's latest triumphs. Interview with Number One Hero Soon! read the banner at the bottom. "Is that what you're watching for?" I asked, clearing my throat.

Inko nodded, looking back to the television. "You know that Izuku's a fan of All Might, of course. He idolizes him, really. But..." She smiled warmly. "I guess I'm a bit of a fan myself. It's nice to know that when I can't, there's someone there that can protect you and Izuku. Especially someone who can take on any villain with a smile."