Part 2: The Carrot

When I came back from the perfunctory function for the foundation, I found an unfamiliar man in my office sitting on the sofa with my secretary. I don't want to deal with anything right now. I wished to hint that I wanted them out, but his formal attire suggested this wasn't the kind of light meeting that I could just brush off. So I sat down without saying anything.

"This is the athlete I mentioned yesterday," said Mr. Lee, my secretary

The man wearing a neat black suit kept rubbing his palms on his pants with a nervous look on his face. I frowned as his attitude got on my nerves, but he didn't seem to notice. The annoying sound of his palms rubbing against his trousers filled the room.

"Would you please look me in the eye?" I asked, bothered.

The man lifted his face a little but still wouldn't look me in the eye. "I promise I won't bite, so look at me." As I spoke in a scolding tone, his eyes finally met mine. His eyes seemed obviously anxious.

"My name is Son Hyunwoo, Ms. Kim, but I go by Shownu," He said with a surprisingly calm voice.

I saw his personal information neatly written on the forms my secretary handed me: name, age, date of birth, height, weight, address, contact information, academic background, awards, and records. I guess all he's done was sports ever since he was born. The muscles underneath his suit jacket don't seem too shabby. I continued to read a few more details about him.

"Mr. Lee, could you give us some privacy?" The secretary left at my polite request. The only people left in the office were the man and I, just the two of us.

"Mr. Lee will explain the details to you. But I assume there must have been some things you picked up yourself..." I wandered off.

"Yes, ma'am..."

"As you know, our foundation provides full support in training as a way of fostering our athletes.

"Yes, I am aware."

"So it should be a given that you show us good results in return for our support, shouldn't it?"

Never ask, just notify. That was the familiar and proper way to do it. He seemed to understand very well that asking for the best results in return for sponsorship was a reasonable request. Getting sponsored in the name of the representing athlete of a foundation meant that one had enough product value. This was a kind of an investment. Every single action the foundation makes has a business reason behind it. It was actually rare for a foundation to create a perfect plan that would benefit both the foundation and the athlete and it was even rarer for the foundation's director to meet a mere athlete in person. Thus, the fact that I was sitting face to face with this man wasn't just going to end as a simple incident. The man was busy trying to read my face with a constant, nervous look in his eyes. He looked like he would lick my feet without hesitation if I asked him to.

"If I am correct, there is a world championship competition in Vancouver next month. Honestly, I don't know much about swimming and I plan to stay that way. So..."

"..."

"A gold medal. That should do it, right?"

The foundation needed a better excuse, something better than supporting the chairman's nephew. Therefore, I had to be careful in choosing the foundation's scapegoat and shield. This is why I must firmly disagree with the saying that you shouldn't expect much from your first try. If you try with all your might, it is possible to succeed. Surely, he must know how important records and medals are to an athlete.

"Well then. You can talk out the rest with Mr. Lee." I said as I shuffled the papers on my desk.

"You may head out now." At these words, the man politely nodded and walked out. I was finally alone, with only a complete silence lingering in the office.

I sat blankly for a while before I suddenly began to look into the man's credentials again. There was something in his eyes that I just couldn't shed from my mind.

I read a few more details about him. In between the meaningless prattle, a few things caught my eye.

[On leave of absence from the Korea National University of Physical Education, Department of Physical Education.]

[No significant family members. Lost parents at Age 10 due to an accident.]

Hmm...

[Currently on prescription for insomnia.]

How pathetic.

/

The most unexpected article in the contract was the one about the sponsor and athlete having to meet up at the training field at least once a week to check on the athlete. I had no idea who added an article like this or for what reason... The more surprising thing was that I was quite faithfully carrying out this promise. I never meant to fulfill my duties as a sponsor like this, but I found myself visiting the training facility and the man once a week.

With the endless dingy smell of chlorine and water, the swimming pool was hardly a likable place. The murky air, the fishy smell of the water, I hated them all. However, although the smell never went away, probably due to the poor ventilation, the man seemed to care less. He was too busy gliding here and there across the swimming pool. I guess I sort of admired the way he concentrated solely on training without giving me a single glance.

"You came, Ms. Kim." The man said coupled with rounds of heavy breathing.

After a few short meetings, I came to the conclusion that he was a neat and simple man. His fellow swimmers and all the other people concerned with him said that he concentrates solely on his training without any small talk, exactly as he was at our first meeting. He only spoke when it was necessary. Hating the type of people that blabber on about worthless shit, I liked this reserved side of him the most.

"When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow, ma'am."

"You should head in early then. Have you finished packing?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I've booked a comfortable seat for you, so relax."

"Thank you for your concern."

Oh, no. This is nothing.

"You remember, right? The gold medal?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I should stop pressuring you. Good luck at the competition."

Since he only had a week left before the championship, the man said he was leaving for Vancouver to get used to the time difference. Getting the athlete up to his optimal condition was one of the foundation's top priorities. The other was for the sponsored athlete to bring home the best results. Sweet-talking and telling him to relax was not my style. But I am never stingy with giving away a few carrots for someone's achievements. And I found him to be the kind of man who was perfect for the old carrot and stick approach.

/

A week later, I received a phone call from Vancouver.

Ms. Kim, it's me, Shownu

"Yes?"

I won. It's gold.

"Good job. Nice work."

Thank you.

"Is there anything you want?"

- ...

"You sleep on that on your way back home. Make sure you get enough rest."

It was just as I predicted. Now it was time to give him the carrot