three

2 MONTHS LATER

Nina's boring grey jansport bounced up and down on her back as she climbed the stairs of her apartment building, the Chinese takeout from the family owned place three blocks north practically dripped through the brown paper bag.

It was one of her most favorite spots in the city to get food, but something about the smell was upsetting her stomach big time, Nina willing herself to swallow down the vomit as the stairs became increasing harder to climb. Nina was limber, she walked everywhere and was even known to hit the gym in her free time. Six flights of stairs were typically a breeze, but lately it felt like a chore, and the girl often found herself opting for the elevator.

Arriving at her door, she quickly fumbled with the lock, before finally getting it open. She burst into the room, not even bothering to close the door behind her. She slid the bag of takeout onto the counter and made a beeline for the bathroom, her palm covering her mouth.

She kicked the door closed behind her, and as she hung her head over the toilet she felt her backpack slide up her back. After several minutes of heaving, she stood up, rinsed out her mouth, and joined her roommates in the dining room.

"Are you okay Neens?" Ashlyn Caswell, her bubbly red-headed roommate who also happened to be Ej's cousin asked in curiosity as she set the table for four.

"Yeah, that's like the fourth time you've thrown up this week." Carlos Rodriguez added, taking his seat at the table.

Kourtney Greene, Nina's best friend and final roommate shook her head, beginning to dish herself a fair helping of orange chicken. "Yeah, I went in there to brush my teeth yesterday but you were in there working on your best impression of Linda Blair." Kourtney joked, trying to be lighthearted about the situation.

Nina shrugged, looking at her roommate's full plates, deciding that she wasn't at all hungry anymore. "I don't know, maybe I'm coming down with something? I've just felt totally off the past few weeks." The girl flopped back into her seat, upset that the food that was once so delicious to her now left a turning feeling in the pit of her stomach. "Honestly, it's probably just the stress of senior year." Nina shook her head, trying to be logical about the situation.

"I don't know Neens... something about it this doesn't feel right." Kourtney frowned, not wanting to assume the worst. "I mean, when was the last time you got your period?"

Carlos shot Kourtney a death glare, "Hello, can we like not talk about stuff like this while some of us are trying to enjoy dinner?"

Kourtney scoffed, waving him off. "Our friend could be having a medical emergency and all you care about its your orange chicken."

"I take my takeout seriously!" Carlos shouted narrowing his eyebrows at Kourtney, jabbing his chopsticks in her direction.

Before the two could continue to bicker, Nina jumped in, "To answer your question Kourt, I haven't had it in over two months." Nina looked around at the table and could tell by the expressions of her roommates that this didn't seem good. "Okay but in my defense when I'm nervous or stressed out about something I usually miss my period."

"But two months in a row? Nini something isn't right..." Kourtney trailed off.

Carlos, finding this whole situation ironically funny, tried to choke back a laugh as he asked his question. "Wait, remind me, how long have you and Darren been dating?" Carlos asked, referring to Nina's new boyfriend.