Chapter 1 A new Beginning

'New Year New Me!... What a lie,' Sophie's thoughts contrasting with one another as she stared in the mirror while getting ready for a new school year at some rich private school for smartas- prodigies like herself.

  Weirdly enough, the name of the school she is going to study at has the name of a glowing fungus, 'Foxfire'. Great.  She isn't excited about it but then again she didn't want to stay back at the place her adopted sister had passed, that would just be depressing. Not saying that she isn't depressed but she would rather much hide this part of her emotions from her adoptive parents who were kind enough to take her in when her birth family died. 

  Sophie tucked one last piece of hair behind her ear and looks around her room. It isn't anything special, just a uselessly big room with lots of windows. It takes up the whole third floor and even has a swimming pool size bathtub made of stone. Sophie never had a habit of decorating anything. Not her room, not herself, not her phone, she only has a transparent phone cover. Then again, maybe it did describe her. Transparent, dispassionate towards life. Yes, it described her perfectly. She also has little clothes to dress herself up with, not that she likes to dress up.

  Expensive accessories, cupboards filled to the brim with gowns worth more than diamonds, skin care products that can fill 2 make up desks full, her adopted sister loved to party and their parents made the best parties. They would party all night long, and there was at least twice a party a week. Compared to her, they have nothing alike, not even one similarity she could trace as she looked deep into her brown eyes in front of the mirror.

'Sophie! Come down for breakfast!,' Sophie jolted at the sound of her adopted mother, Edaline Kelia Ruewen. 

She is a beautiful lady with turquoise colored eyes paired with wavy amber hair. 

'Coming, mom!' Sophie shouted back. She quickly picked up her school bag that was dangling on her chair and ran downstairs. 

  As Sophie came running to the dining table, she caught a glimpse of her mother. As expected, Edaline still has noticeable eyebags under her eyes. 

'Probably cried all night again,' Sophie thought to herself. 

  After the death of Jolie, their daughter, she always cried herself to sleep at night. Sophie never told anyone but she always wondered why god was so cruel, it could have been her that was burned to death, it SHOULD have been her. She was the one who lost hope when her birth family had died but no, god took an innocent girl who had everything and decided to end her, the thought always frustrates her. 

'Well eat up, Sophie. It's the first day of school, you'll need the energy to get through the day,' Grady told Sophie at the dining table while reading today's newspaper. 

  Grady Howell Ruewen, husband to Edaline Ruewen and father to Jolie. He has blond hair and blue eyes. When they first met, Sophie thought that he looks a lot like Robin Hood and/or James Bond because of his "chiseled features". He is a caring person and can sometimes be overprotective but Sophie knows he means well. He is always there for Edaline, especially the first few days after Jolie's passing, he constantly stayed beside her and comforted her when she awoke to a few unpleasant nights. 

  The big round dining table has three plates on it. Two of which have Fluffcreams on them and one which is left with all but leftover crusts, it most likely belongs to Grady. 

'Yes! Flulffcreams! Thanks mom. Can I pack them and go? I'm afraid of being late to school on the first day,' Sophie asked Edaline. 

'Sure,' Edaline hands Sophie a tupperware. She keeps the fluffcreams safely,  said her goodbyes and rushes off. 

  When she gets to the bus stop, she sits down below the covers and waits for her bus to come. There was seemingly no other student except for her and an elderly woman with her niece sitting together. So, she decided to put in her AirPods and play some music. (FYI, she was listening to 'Hey There Delilah' by Plain White T's. ) Not so long after, the bus arrives and she hops on. Sophie chooses the front seat so that she could be the first to come out. Beside her sits a strawberry blonde curly haired boy who looks about the same age as her. He's just looking out the window, Sophie's not exactly sure what he is staring at but she didn't cared enough to ask. 

  Suddenly, the boy turned his head to her. Sophie is caught off guard and leans backwards a little. When she gets a good look at his face, she felt like they had met before but she couldn't quite put her hands around it. 

Sophie took off her AirPods and thought for a while and did more staring. Finally, Sophie realized. 

'Ah!' Sophie shouted a little bit too loud. 'Sorry, sorry...' She apologized to the other students on the bus. 'Dex, could it be?' she turns and stares at him. 

'Sophie! Hey, it's been so long!' Dex exclaimed.

'Yeah, it has been, hasn't it? I miss you,' Sophie said. 

'Yeah, me too. You never came around anymore after... well... after Jolie passed away,' Dex muttered, just realizing what he has said. 'Sorry... '

  The atmosphere became cold, Sophie quickly told Dex that it was fine and that she didn't mind but her expressions on the other hand told another story. The air between them became awkward and nobody knew how to break the ice. The tension felt like it lasted for an hour which in reality was probably only a few minutes. 

  Finally, the bus came to a stop. They had reached the school and OH BOY was it ENORMOUS! It is practically a castle. It consists of four buildings, one long one in the middle which has a humongous hallway, one really tall building on her right and one gigantic building on the left. Beautiful plants all around the school most likely planted by the school's gardeners. Kudos to them. A water fountain right in front of the school and a big gate welcoming them and yes, it literally wrote 'Welcome' on the gate. Sophie has never went to a school much like this one before, it was in a word, overwhelming. 

  All the students then got off the bus while Sophie still hasn't taken her eyes off the sparkling and glimmering school. It was glimmering and sparkling, not sure if that was what you expected from a school. Sophie had always thought of school as more of prison than.. well whatever people call this. (Author: Dang, wish I could attend a castle school)

  Apparently, 'this' is supposedly a fresh, new beginning for Sophie. And she's not sure she is well prepared for this. Life just really likes to throw random things at people and say deal with it so Sophie decided that she is going to do just that. 

Deal with it. 

  Hey! I'm the author of this story. I hope you guys like it, this is my first story so please be nice. If there's anywhere to improve, please comment as I want you guys to have the best experience whilst reading this. I don't have a set upload time so I'll just update when I have new ideas. And again all the characters in this story belongs to the one and only Shannon Messenger, NOT me. Thanks for reading!

(1276 words)