Prompts

It’s finally time to reveal all the scary prompts for this Spooktober Festival! However, before you start writing your spooky masterpiece, here are some important notes to keep in mind:

✷ The prompts are divided into loose genres based on our perspective, but you can choose any prompt to write them for any genre you wish to, like a Teen Fiction prompt can be used for a Horror story! 

✷ You can combine multiple prompts, but your entry must follow one main prompt.

✷ The prompts don’t have any specific point of views, so you can choose any perspective for your entry.

Now, let’s have a look at this year’s HV prompts!

GENERAL FICTION / CONTEMPORARY LITERATURE

#1 - You decide to give out candy on Halloween night for the first time this year, but every time you answer the door, there's no one there. Finally, you stop answering, figuring it's a prank—until, twenty minutes later, you hear someone singing in your basement. You live alone.

#2 - They say if you wake up at three in the morning, there's a possibility that someone's watching you. You never believed it until it happened to you. What did you see and what happened next?

#3 - Out of the blue, your boss sends out an email informing the entire company that the office is closed and all work is remote. A few weeks later, you head to the office to collect your things only to find the remains of your coworkers. The terrifying part is that you have been on multiple video conferences with them in the past few weeks.

FANTASY

#4 - Each year they say someone goes missing on Halloween in your small town. When you and your friends decide to enter the crumbling, abandoned house you know exactly why.

#5 - Your grandmother recently passed away and left you with a treasure of photos. Flipping through them, you notice a photo where she looks to be your age, and standing beside her, is your partner.

ROMANCE

#6 - Your friends are hosting a Halloween party in an old manor, and you've just discovered that in the place a true love ghost story happened. You've seen the loved ones scaring people and laughing together. What was their ghost story?

#7 - You have a curse that everything you love will die.

#8 - Trapped as a ghost, you watch your love stumble through life without you. They find an old book with a spell to be joined with their true love, but as a ghost you know the true price of the magic. What do you do?

FANFICTION

#9 - You get in the world of your favorite character/bias, but the twist is your mission to curse them. What will you do?

#10 - Your favorite author just passed away a few months ago. One night while reading a book written by them you hear a sudden knock, on opening the door you find them standing outside the door.

ACTION / ADVENTURE / MYSTERY / THRILLER

#11 - While playing baseball, your ball ended up going to the second floor of an abandoned hospital.

#12 - Your mother told you you were an adopted child, but years later you find out that you were abducted, and your adoptive mother was bringing you up in preparation of a family ritual.

#13 - You're pulling an all-nighter on Halloween night to finish a project. You decide to take a small break, and meet another employee from a different department in the break room, you both have a friendly chat and they even offer to help you finish work early. The next day on visiting the said department you find your late night friend has been dead for years now.

#14 - A scene from one of your nightmares comes true everyday.

HORROR / PARANORMAL

#15 - Ten days before Halloween, you started getting envelopes full of cut up letters. You’ve painstakingly decoded the words and pasted them to a sheet of paper, rearranging them to discover the message. Now it’s Halloween day. The final envelopes will arrive. What is the complete message and what do you do with it?

#16 - You heard them say, "There's a monster under our bed", you peeked under the bed and heard them say, "There's a monster on our bed."

#17 - Every morning when you wake up, you’re a different person.

TEEN FICTION

#18 - On Halloween night, you and your friends decide to try that Ouija Board game that’s been sitting in the closet for the longest time. You never believed in ghosts until the planchette started moving with no one touching it.

#19 - You wake up in the morning and find a picture of you sleeping in your phone, but you live alone.

SCIENCE FICTION

#20 - On the way back from a successful deep space scavenging trip, you regale your shipmates with tales of the old Earthling custom of Halloween. A shipmate offers to show you what they do to get scared “just for fun” on his/her/their planet.

POETRY

#21 - What does cursed mean to you?

The poets amongst you are welcome to join this event by choosing this prompt or any of the prompts given above!

✷ ✷ ✷ 

Skip to the next chapter to find out about the schedule and guidelines of this thrilling contest!