Chapter Five

"WE'RE UP HERE - SIRIUS BLACK - QUICK!"

Carina had run into a bloodied Draco holding his broken nose. She was hurt upon knowing that an innocent creature was about to be beheaded. ("You did WHAT?!") Not long after, a frantic Professor Lupin had encountered her and beckoned Carina to follow. Going through an opening in the roots of the Whomping WIllow and travelling down a long tunnel, the pair had arrived in the Shrieking Shack, but it was the voice that had startled Carina. Following Lupin up the stairs hastily, they'd burst into a room to find an usual sight before them.

Ron was lying on the floor, while Hermione was cowering next to the door. Harry was standing with his wand covering a bleeding man. Peering from around Lupin, Carina's eyes widened as her eyes fell upon the Azkaban escapee.

Sirius Black.

"Expelliarmus!" Lupin shouted, and Harry's wand flew into his hand along with two Hermione was holding. Carina awkwardly shuffled off towards the side, still unsure of why her presence was needed here.

Lupin spoke in an odd voice, a voice that shook with some suppressed emotion. "Where is he, Sirius?"

Carina's face scrunched up in confusion.

Where is who? And, why is Professor Lupin talking to him like they're old friends or something?

Black's face was quite expressionless, not moving for a few seconds until very slowly, he raised a hand and pointed it at Ron, making all the teenagers in the room bewildered.

"But then..." Lupin muttered, staring at Black so intently it seemed he was trying to read his mind, "... why hasn't he shown himself before? Unless-" Lupin's eyes suddenly, "- unless he was the one... unless you switched... without telling me?"

Black slowly nodded.

"Professor Lupin," Harry interrupted loudly, "what's going -?"

But Harry never finished his question and Carina realised why, when she saw Lupin walking over to Black, to pull him to his feet and embrace like brothers.

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT!" Hermione screamed, making Lupin let go of Black. Hermione was pointing at Lupin, wild-eyed. "You- you-"

"Hermione-"

"-you and him!"

"Hermione, calm down-"

"I didn't tell anyone!" Hermione shrieked. "I've been covering up for you-"

This piqued Carina's interest.

What is she talking about?

"Hermione, listen to me, please!" Lupin shouted. "I can explain-"

"I trusted you," Harry suddenly shouted at Lupin, his voice wavering out of control. "And all this time you've been his friend!"

"You're wrong," said Lupin. "I haven't been Sirius's friend for twelve years, but I am now... let me explain..."

"NO!" Hermione screamed, "Harry, don't trust him, he's been helping Black get into the castle, he wants you dead too - he's a werewolf!"

Carina raised a hand to her mouth in shock as a ringing silence overtook. All eyes were on Lupin, who looked remarkably calm, but pale.

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," he said. "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius get into the castle and I certainly don't want Harry dead..." An odd shiver passed over his face. "But I won't deny that I am a werewolf."

Ron made a valiant effort to get up again, but fell back with a whimper of pain. Lupin, concerned, made a move towards him, but Ron gasped, "Get away from me, werewolf!"