Chapter 16

Gaea held Percy over the Phelegethon, his face dangerously close to the fire. The son of Poseidon whimpered as the heat brushed his face. 
"Raise the fire again, or I'll throw you in it."
Percy held out his arms, but nothing happened, "I can't do it!"
Gaea thrust him closer, "Try harder!"
He tried again, but nothing happened. Gaea let og of his shirt, and he fell into the Phelegethon, screaming as the fire scorched his skin. 
"Don't worry," Gaea grinned evilly, "The pain you feel will not leave a mark on your skin."
Percy screamed again as he struggled to reach the shore. Gaea had planted his feet deep in the earth, and he couldn't move.
"Please!" he screamed. 
"Raise the fire," she replied coldly. Percy pushed out his arms, and concentrated. After a moment, the river rose high into the sky.
"Good," Gaea grinned, "Now hold it."
But Percy's arms were shaking. He couldn't hold it much longer. To his relief, a moment later Gaea said, "Alright drop it."
He let the wave of fire go, and it crashed back down on top of him. Gaea reached a hand out to him, and he took it, stepping up onto the shore. His clothes were smoking, but otherwise his body seemed to be fine. But the pain he felt...
"Good job, Percy," Gaea congratulated, "It would seem that pain is good for something."
He bowed stifly and began to walk back to the house. 
"Percy," Gaea said behind him. He whirled around, and she smiled, "You did a good job today."

***

That was the moment Annabeth's dream chose to change. She was still in Tartarus, but Percy was nowhere to be seen. Gaea was sitting on the banks of the Phelegethon, and she looked up at Annabeth, "Come. Sit."
Annabeth warily sat next to the earth goddess. The primordial sighed, "It would seem that my protegee has betrayed me."
Annabeth frowned, "What do you mean."
"Perseus was to bring me back, wake me up. He has decided that his world is better than mine, and therefore left me in his dust."
"Not to be rude or anything," Annabeth said, "But it's kind of a good thing Percy hasn't brought you back."
"No it is not," Gaea argued, "Because without me he will fall apart."
She pulled a syringe from her pocket, and Annabeth tensed, "That's what you used to hurt him."
She shook her head, "This is a different serum. One that I used to nullify Percy's fatal flaw. I also used it to numb his pain, to keep him from revisiting his horrid past. It would seem that while his fatal flaw is coming back, the details of his memories are too, and they are traumatising him."
Annabeth frowned, "Yes that's bad. But why did you need to tell me this?"
"Because," Gaea rolled her eyes impatiently, "With those memories Percy will become unstable. He must be taken off the throne before he destroys the world."
"Who would we replace him with? You?"
Gaea shook her head, "I don't care who. I just know that it must be done. Put Poseidon on the throne for all I care. Just get Percy off it."
"Why do you care?" Annabeth asked. 
"I gave Percy more power than I gave the the titans," came Gaea's reply, "If he's unstable, he will have the power to kill a primordial. To kill me. If he kills me, the world will end."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Dun-dun-duuuuunnnnn! 

Also, some heartbreak coming in the next few chapters. Brace yourself. I've been told I am a master at making people cry.