Chapter 19

Annabeth glanced around the stone cell. The roof was dripping with water, and bloodstains covered the floor, along with a musty smell of vomit. In the center of the cell, celestial bronze chains hung from the roof. When the dracnae had dragged her in here, they had given her some nectar, which had healed her back. Annabeth had then sat down in the corner, trying to stay as far away as possible from those bloodstains. 
She looked up as Percy walked through the wall, covered in blood, eyes haunted. He blanched when he saw her there, "Who put you in here?"
"Two dracnae," Annabeth replied. Percy's face hardened, "Stupid snake ladies."
He began to walk towards her, but she flinched away. A pained expression flashed on his face, but it disappeared almost as soon as it appeared. 
"I'm just going to take you to a more suitable room," He explained. He held out a hand, and Annabeth did not fail to notice that it too was covered in dry blood. Annabeth reluctantly took his hand, and he hauled her up without effort. 
As he took her towards the door, she worked up the courage to ask, "Who's blood is that?"
She pointed to the stains on the cell floor. Sorrow appeared on Percy's face and he looked down, "Mine."
Annabeth covered her mouth with her hand, her eyes darting to the scars on Percy's back, "Who did that to you."
"Ares."
She gasped. The gods did that to him? The gods whipped him? It was as though Percy could read her mind, "Those three days before my trial? Ares was down here with me, shredding the skin off my back. On the first day, your mom stopped him. So he went to Zeus for permission."
"My mom stopped him?"
He nodded. Realisation dawned on her, "That's why you spared her."
"She was good to me," he replied, "She was the only one who bothered to bring me food and water. She was the only one who cared about me enough to stop Ares. Not even..."
He took a deep breath, "Not even my father cared."
Annabeth put a comforting hand on his shoulder, but he pulled away. He nodded to the wall, "Just walk through. I've made it work for you."
When she hesitated, he gave her a gentle shove, and she found herself stepping through the wall out into a dimly lit hallway. Spiral stairs spun upwards beside her. Percy stepped out of the cell and led her up the stairs, taking her through Olympus, walking until they came to a vacant room. She walked inside, and Percy turned to leave.
"Wait!" she said. He turned to face her. She took a breath before saying, "You didn't know I was in that cell did you?"
He shook his head. 
"So why did you come down?"
His face hardened, "That's none of your business."
Then he left, locking the door behind him.

***

Theos Dolofonos lay discarded on the cell floor, its blade covered in golden ichor. Percy knelt in the center of the room, golden blood leaking from his palm. He did not feel any pain, physically at least. He couldn't stop seeing Leah fall to the floor, Jason's infernal sword through her stomach. He couldn't stop seeing her lifeless eyes. Minutes before she had been trying to photograph him on his throne. Minutes before she had been so full of life. She didn't deserve death, didn't deserve to be taken by Gaea and experimented on. Tears began to roll down his face as he watched his blood drip onto the floor.
"Hades! Appear before me!" he called, his voice shaky. A minute later, the Lord of the Dead appeared before me, "Perseus Jackson, the slayer of Zeus."
Percy rose, "I am your King."
Hades raised an eyebrow, "Why did you call on me?"
"Leah Hilmer. She died today."
"I'm not bringing her back if that's what you're asking?"
Percy sighed, "That's not what I'm asking."
"Then what, my King, are you asking?"
"I ask you to assure her place in Ellysium."
Hades raised an eyebrow, "She has done many misdeads in her lifetime."
"She was a good person, and as I said before, I am your King. You will do as I say."
Hades bowed, "I will do as you ask."
Percy nodded. Before he left, Hades said, "Please spare my son from your wrath."
"Nico has never bothered me. I have no intention of killing him."
"Only Jason Grace."
Percy clenched his jaw, "Leave Hades."
The Lord of the Dead bowed once again, and vanished from the cell.