Chapter 7: Twilight Serein

____________________
Jungkook's POV
8th August, 6:12 pm
____________________

"Are the two of you on a date?"

"What? No!" Jennie practically shouts, her response to the male barista's absurd question is overly loud. Her quick denial puts me at ease, even though I had anticipated this kind of misconception.

"Oppa, you don't want me to die with more dating scandals, do you?" She blinks when Taejoon hyung shakes his head with an awkward smile, as if he's remorseful for what he said. He moves a carrier filled with soda bottles from the counter to the back kitchen.

When he returns, an uncomfortable silence settles between us. Jennie is glaring at him, and he maintains that smile. My eyes shift back and forth between them, and I feel like I should say something. "Ugh, hyung, if you are going jump to conclusions so quickly, think about what those obsessive sasaeng fans will do." As soon as I say it, I realize it might not have been a good statement.

He shrugs as if that settles everything and hands me the change, saying, "That's the point. People will definitely question you two. I was just surprised to see you together, you know."

Jennie opens her mouth to say something, but Taejoon interrupts again, saying, "I've seen plenty of people dating here or just hanging out as friends...none of it is my concern anyway. Just grab your coffee when my girlfriend hands it to you." He takes out a damp paper towel and wipes the already spotless countertop.

Jennie firmly plants her hands on her hips and scoffs, "I'm letting it slide though."

I manage a forced smile, burying my hands deeper into my front pocket and hunching my shoulders. I cautiously study Jennie, noticing that she looks kind of triggered. It's the very thing I fear the most. No, it's the thing I used to fear the most. There was a time when I felt compelled not to disappoint people. For that reason, I used to push myself to do things I didn't want to do. I attended events I had no interest in, interacted with people I found painfully difficult to converse with, and wore fake smiles throughout.

And then my mind exploded.

If there is one thing I have learnt from it is that It's better to let other people down than to blow yourself up. However, even after all this time, there's still a part of me that doesn't want to cause harm or end up on anyone's bad side.

It's like the situation I find myself in right now. I've slipped into that highly self-conscious state that occurs when you're with someone new, and you genuinely don't want them to have a negative opinion of you.

Before long, the female barista, also known as Taejoon hyung's girlfriend, returns and hands us our cups of coffee. We receive them, appreciating the frosty chill they should have. I observe her exchanging a mutual smile with Jennie, even though their masks obscure their expressions, and it's as if some unspoken understanding passes between them. Jennie nudges me while directing her gaze and focus toward the female barista. They continue to wave to each other until we reach the door. I pull it open, allowing Jennie to slip through ahead of me.

"Back to the bridge, what do you say?" She inquires as soon as she steps onto the pavement and lowers her mask.

"Back to the bridge? Wouldn't it be a hassle to return all the way along this road?" I respond as I also lower my mask.

"It's a lengthy journey, but it's manageable if you've got time. I'm staying here for the night, so I've got plenty of time to spare, enough to hunt an elephant," she says, slowing her pace to allow me to catch up. To be honest, she walks much faster than most girls I know, at least the only female staff and female cousins I've encountered in my lifetime. I seem to have had bad luck with females.