Chapter 8

The woman in the chair wears purple like Miss Pauling, having a dress with a collar on it. She look nothing like I predicted, she doesn't even look 50. looking more ancient than a 50 year old, how long has this woman been alive for?

" it's nice to finally meet you Dr. Delaney, was the drive here acceptable? Don't answer that question. I don't care honestly. " she spoke, I could practically hear the vibrations from inside her own throat.

I looked at the woman with a stern face trying to figure out the uneasy feeling I'm having from my stomach.

" I'm sure you have questions so I'll let you ask three before you start working. " the woman said lighting a cigarette in her hand.

I think carefully about what I want to ask before deciding on the top three that seem important.

" why did you really offer me this job? " I ask raising an eyebrow looking interested for the answer.

" you seem smart enough to know the answer but I'll tell you anyway, you have blueprints  I want that you gave to grey Mann. Other than that your skills could be of use to this company. You brilliant mind could help team fortress out in rough situations in times like these. " she puffed out smoke from the corner of her mouth, the cigarette still in her lips.

I let her words sink in as I began thinking over the second question.

" aren't there other scientists that you could of hired besides me? "

" we've been watching you for a while now and your talents seem to prove useful to me as a mercenary. You have one more question. " she said puffing out smoke again.

" how much do I get paid? "

" well it depends on the client and how much they pay you, not to mention the taxes before you actually get paid. You'll get paid ether each week or each month. " she said putting out the cigarette when it was only a bud.

I thought about the few answers I was given and the so many other questions that needed to be answered.

" Miss Pauling will stay with you for a few days to fill out paperwork for your folder, medic will know about your condition and only him if you so please. You will also be given a class name like the rest of the team by there symbols, your symbol will be a beaker. As for your name it will be scientist for now on so get use to it. You will also be given a uniform for when you do contracts or on the field. " she said handing a few papers to Miss Pauling as she puts them on top of her binder.

" you may leave my office now " the woman said lighting another cigarette and turning her chair to the monitors behind her once again.

We both get and leave through the elevator as the doors closed in front of us. Miss Pauling began to speak first.

" alright, we will be meeting the team first before I do your paperwork. " she said looking over the papers the administrator gave her.

" I'm curious, does the entire team just go by their class names? " I said lifting an eyebrow as I adjust the strap of my backpack on my shoulder with my free hand as the other holds my luggage.

" yes, they don't go by there real names while working here, so they go by there class names instead. Makes it a lot easier when on the battlefield. " she said straightening the paperwork the best she could on her binder.

" that leaves to my second question, when do I get on this battlefield the administrator was talking about in her office? " I ask as the doors open to the heat of the sun wanting to be known.

" it only happens ever so often so don't worry about it for now, only worry about the contracts for now. The battlefield only happens once a year and it lasts for two weeks. You won't be in it this year but next year you will be. Anymore questions?" she said sounding a little annoyed with me as we walk to one of the buildings that look run down.