chapter one: withering willow tree.

summary: reader finds herself in a strained situation

summary: reader finds herself in a strained situation. her fondness for armin blooms, and so does his, but he's having troubles severing ties with his platonic partner, since their families are what ties the two together, causing the reader to feel rather... sad?

Your fingers were laced in the soft sheets as your breathing was frayed, lacking a normalised rhythm while your thoughts danced out your mouth, not a sound being made as Armin was beside you. His face was soft, brewing with an impeccable look as you glanced at him. His eyes were smoothed over with a lifetime-worth of tranquillity — that toyed with the heart and mind in your body. Your heart tugged against your chest as if it was attached to multiple pieces of string. Strings embedded into your heart and pulled as if it was a guitar, diluting your attention from things with importance and gifting it to Armin.

Armin laid peacefully. His heartbeat fluttered ever so softly beneath your cold body as you both puddled into one, not a single word spoken. Only the soft warmth from each other guiding the two of you, though your needy act was rather sinful, greedy many would write out — if the situation was displayed in front of peering eyes. It still felt right for all you could care. The sort of right where your luck was thoroughly enhanced, winning and scoring you things you never knew would hold significance. Things you would sport in your bedroom back at home.

"Babe, what did I say about waking up? It's only fair for you to go back to sleep, you seem tired?" Arminʼs broad arms find your torso as your eyes flicker to the whispering fan. The fan that remains on the ceiling in his room, spinning and dancing around the two of your bodies as if it was merely taunting your existences, rather you, for engaging with a man who was still in a relationship.

A man who had emotionally checked out long ago, yet his family bonded him ever so selfishly with the girl, severing his chances of finding love on his own accord. To explore the emotion stored within his plagued heart. To flood happiness within his exposed chest. A place that he deemed held an organ that theoretically belonged to you, that was to rest in your palms, not a single soul that trod upon the earth, only you.

"How can I sleep, Armin? Knowing we're hiding, makes me feel as if we're nothing." Your hand darts instinctively over to the vacant side beside you as you felt dirty once more. Feeling as if you were no more than a side piece that was no more than a chess piece.