Chapter 2

With a loud rumble of thunder, the rain begins to beat down again, hitting the sidewalk in a sudden wave that drenches you within seconds. Lin curses under his breath, which makes you giggle. He doesn't have a coat, which seems insane in this weather, but you take off yours and the two of you huddle under it as you walk.

In a twist of luck (or fortuitous Romcommunism, if you could call it that), you recognize your surroundings and realize you are close enough to take cover in your hotel. You know the rules of travelling alone, what a cardinal sin it is to tell a stranger where you are staying, but this stranger almost seems... trustworthy. You have been walking around the city and talking about everything under the sun for well over an hour but you have still barely scratched the surface. He has plenty to say - he knows the city inside out, tales of its past and its present, anecdotes of his years growing up here... That damn smile of his is bright enough to light up the entire city, and you can feel the excitement in his voice as he shares those stories with you.

He tells you so much, yet still so little...

You try to be realistic for a second: you were lucky to even catch his first name from the barista at the coffee shop. You try to figure out his age; he is definitely older than you, he sounds wise and aware of the world, but his boyish charm and smooth skin throw you off. You know little to nothing, and yet something about him inclines you to take a leap of faith and just trust him.

You hope that little voice in your head isn't about to lead you into trouble, but then, would that be such a bad thing? A little trouble never hurt anyone, and he doesn't seem like he'd hurt you...

He is mumbling about how much of an inconvenience rain can be, and you can't disagree. You've noticed he has a tendency to ramble a bit, which amuses you. "Lin?" you interrupt him slowly. Sounds nice.

He stops walking and turns to face you. Something flashes in those expressive eyes that you can't quite read yet. "Hey, how did you..." He seems shocked for a moment, but it clearly clicks just as quickly. "Oh. Yeah?"

"My hotel is only a block away. We can shelter there, if you want?" you suggest, and he appears to actually consider your offer.

His eyes light up. "Heating, towels and food? Fuck, yes."

That voice and those words send your thoughts into another spiral, and you think it best to shake it off. For now, at least.

Can't go back now.

His hand grasps yours again and you begin to run through the rain, leading him in the direction of your hotel. Your delicate coat does little to protect either of you from the downpour, and by the time you arrive in the hotel lobby, you are both soaked to the skin, laughing. You wonder what a romantic picture you must paint, a couple of rain-drenched lovers seeking cover in this beautiful temporary home.

Too much? Maybe. But it's just that something...

The hotel staff spot you, and a few of them stop to stare. They greet you by name, as always, and Lin looks impressed - your company keeps you sweet, and consistency is part of the deal, you explain. Always the same luxury suite in the same gorgeous hotel. Although, you are mildly confused at their reaction to him - as people walk past you, some turn back for a second look. You shoot him a questioning glance, but he shrugs and you head towards the elevators. Apparently he can command a room full of passing strangers, not just you alone. Good to know.

The elevator arrives and you both step in. Lin leans against the mirror on one side of the elevator as you press the button for your floor. When you turn to face him again, you catch him eyeing you up and down, his bottom lip between his teeth again. You catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror behind him, and you soon understand why. Your thin shirt clings to your skin, leaving little to the imagination. It isn't fair, you think as you stare back at him; his sweater is made of a thicker wool, which annoyingly doesn't let you do the same.