Chapter 1~Coffee Collide

Listen to Espresso by Sabrina Carpenter

Summer in California is my most stressful time of the year.

One might think it's because I slightly prefer the cold to the burning heat, but working during the summer is most stressful, especially in Caligola restaurant.

"Cassie, take these orders to table six and head over to table eight, their orders haven't been taken" Heather ordered after taking a glance at the table.

"Noted! ", I hastened out of the kitchen, steading two plates in both hands and using my foot to shut the door.

"Cassie, you forgot your notepad," Heather called again coming towards me at the kitchen exit. I sighed deeply, slightly embarrassed at my forgetfulness "Oh- thank you, you're a life saver!."

I was about to drop the plates to pick up my notepad but Heather beat me to it again
"Never mind, I will help you with that!"

"Aww, thank you, Heather! , you are amazing" I beamed at her. She slipped the notepad into the pocket of my apron. "Thank you again," I said, glancing at her enchanting gray eyes.

"You're welcome, you still need to tell me the secret to your stunning hair and skin" she winked at me. I grinned playfully "Hmm..., but I've told you already."

"You haven't told me the skin secret and all about the hair, Cassie" she whined... "Later!" I sang and left quickly.

Although Caligola is extremely busy and stressful, the atmosphere is quite cool and refreshing. I could relax and let the air conditioning do justice to the sweat.

After I set the plates on table six, I wiped my forehead with a handkerchief, hastened to table eight, and took their orders before making my way back to the kitchen.

Sighing, I scanned the restaurant and something caught my gaze at the door. Two tall huge black-suited men were standing suspiciously at the entrance.
Curious, I moved towards where they were standing, something wasn't right!

I put on a little smile and cleared my throat to get their attention. "Hello gentlemen, Welcome to Caligola, how may I help you, please?" I smile nervously, slightly intimidated by their heights.

The blonde guy by my left cleared his throat and looked down at me. "We are waiting here for our boss," he said.

"Okay, instead of waiting near the entrance door, please come and have a seat, "I said gesturing to where they could sit.

The blonde-haired guy whispered into the other guy's ear, and the other guy, brown-haired, nodded to everything the blonde guy said.

What's with the whispering and nodding? I wondered.

I played with my pink fingernails waiting for them to finish their discussion, but they continued talking.

"Hold on a sec, do these guys think I have all day? "I wondered.

Customers are waiting to be served and Mr. Douglas is not going to take any excuses. After what felt like forever, the blonde guy replied. "Please lead the way, miss" He muttered, staring down at me again.

Now I felt absolutely like a dummy! How I hated this!

They trail behind me till I get to a restaurant table.

"Anything you'd like to order while you wait?" I asked, reaching for my notepad.

"No, the boss will order what he wants."The brown hair guy mumbles."

"Alright then, excuse me, gentlemen," I said, turning around.

I strolled back to the kitchen.

Heather and Kira are busy making omelets and chicken nuggets, dancing to La Modelò playing in the background.

I took a seat on the stool beside the table. I planned to study for an hour in preparation for my Biology test but I hardly had been able to rest since I started my stewarding job today.

The school had been also stressful and I couldn't wait to graduate.

"Cassie, your attention is needed at table five". Now, this is a lot! I rise on my feet and adjust my apron.

"Coming!" I groaned.

Normally, I don't usually serve every table, Fiona and I are partners and we share the tables

But unfortunately, she's been under the weather with the flu. Our boss takes health issues seriously, "Especially because you're dealing with food", he'll say. Coping with college and my job was too much for me at first, but later I got used to it.

Now it seems like a daily routine for me and I always remember I'm doing all these for myself and my family, especially My Mum when I feel like giving up this keeps me going. Ever since Dad passed away, it had been so difficult for her and she had become so weak and devastated. My Sister and I had to be strong, comforting her and she's been recovering with much help and support.

Humming a song that popped into my head, I stopped at table five.

An Indian man was the customer that needed my attention, he was so engrossed in scanning the menu as I approached him.

"Good day Sir, what would you like to order?"I smiled at him.

"I'd like a cup of coffee, French toast, and strawberry cake please"

"Is that all Sir?" I said, jotting down what he had said.

"Yes please!"

I walked back to the hostess station, filled a cup of coffee, grabbed some fresh toast from the kitchen, and headed back to table five quickly, yet the Indian man complained about his coffee saying it was not "hot enough."

The problem with customers...they are never satisfied!

I put on a fake smile, holding the cup very carefully because of the last incident that happened. Which cost me a lot of money.

I discovered two cute babies at table four, raising my head, I collided with suddenly a hard chest causing all the coffee to spill...

Oh no!!

Hope it only spilled on me!

Please let it be on me...

My eyes widened after praying silently.

I couldn't help it, I gasped when I met the eyes of the person I bumped into.

A/N: Hey my lovely readers.
How do you like the first chapter?

Remember to vote and comment.
Please comment. I love to read your comments.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: 17 hours ago ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Black and White|ONGOING|जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें