Chapter 2: The Beginning

Hello Ginny Weasley, my name is Tom Riddle.

The words appeared on the page as if they were just being written, letter by letter. More words began to appear.

How did you happen to come by my diary?

She hastily wrote a reply, questions of her own to ask on the tip of her tongue.

I found it. In my school things.

The ink faded into the page but Riddle didn't say anything, almost like he knew she wasn't finished.

Who are you? Why are you inside a diary?

As I said, I am Tom Riddle. You mentioned you were at school? I was a Hogwarts student myself- I actually knew a Septimus Weasley, is he any relation of yours?

My grandfather's name was Septimus. How long ago were you at Hogwarts?

I was 16 in 1942, when I was preserved in this diary.

Woah. That's like 50 years ago. What do you mean you were preserved? How? Were you trapped?

I was not trapped. Tom Riddle put a memory of himself inside this diary 50 years ago, when he was 16. He went on to live his life, I presume. I am just a shade of him.

Do you know what happened to him, then? Is he still alive?

Nothing good, if I've somehow ended up in your school things. He wouldn't have just left me somewhere, he would've come looking for me. I was too... important for him to lose.

Oh. I'm sorry.

Don't be. It was a long time ago.

What year are you in at Hogwarts?

Wow, changing the subject much.

Looks like you caught me.

I'm not actually at Hogwarts yet. I'll be starting my first year in a month.

Really? What house do you want to be in?

My family are all Gryffindors.

Hm. Yes. I remember your grandfather's Gryffindor antics quite well.

Fond memories, I hope?

Not quite.

Ginny stared at his response quizzically. She yawned.

I should go. Its getting late.

Will you write to me again?

Yes. Definitely. Goodnight, Tom.

Goodnight, Ginny.

Ginny looked up and blinked. The room had darkened completely whilst they were talking. The walls were a dull grey, everything faded like an old movie. She sighed and got into bed. Shadows of trees outside twisted across her ceiling. She watched them sway with the breeze and wished she could feel it as they did.