Chapter 6: Wildflowers

Hey Gin, I have a favour to ask.

What?

I need to do something.

You mean you need me to do something for you.

Yeah. Kind of. I think I know a way that you can help me get out of this diary. At least for a little while, maybe.

What do you mean? I thought you couldn't leave?

I can't. Technically. I don't know how to explain it, I need you to trust me.

What do you need me to do?

Just empty your mind. Clear it of all thoughts but me. Envision the diary in your head. Hold it there- keep me front and centre in your mind, and I'll do the rest.

What? I don't understand?

'Cmon Gin, please, just do it.

I'm not sure about this... it feels like you're... becoming me... or something...

Remember what I said about trust. Please Gin, for me.

Ginny concentrated, summoning Tom up in her mind. She thought of when he'd told her she belonged in Slytherin, and the warmth and acceptance she'd felt. She thought of their sarcastic banter and all the times he'd made her laugh or roll her eyes. She thought of the first time they spoke, and every time since. Ginny felt her concentration slipping away, and then she thought nothing at all.

Tom? What was it you wanted me to do?

Its done, Gin.

No...

Tom, that doesn't make sense, we were just talking about it.

Don't worry about it.

I can't remember, Tom, I can't...

You need to sleep, Gin. Get some rest.

Ginny's mind was swirling. It didn't make sense. Something didn't make sense. But she couldn't remember what. Maybe if she got some sleep. Tom was probably right. She did feel tired.

Night, Tom.

Night, Gin. I hope you're feeling better in the morning.

Her head crashed against the pillow and she was asleep instantly.

When she woke, Ginny felt terrible. her head was pounding and vision blurred. Everything seemed to sway as she walked up to breakfast.

"You don't look too good, Weasley," Malfoy's nasally voice pierced the fog like a knife.

"Shove off," she mumbled.

"Oooohhh, she bites," Parkinson gasped dramatically.

The two of them turned away from her, laughs sending shooting pains through her head.

After breakfast, Luna drifted over to her in the entrance hall.

"Do you want to go somewhere different?" she asked in her usual airy voice.

"Don't we have class?" Ginny's brows furrowed as she tried to remember if she'd forgotten something.

"Of course. But you're not going to be doing much today anyway,"

Ginny just hummed non-committally. She felt Luna's hand wrap around hers, guiding her outside. Luna sat down below a tree next to the lake, gesturing to Ginny to sit next to her. Luna's smooth palms brushed through her hair in soft, calming motions. She began to braid it, twining wildflowers into the plait. How long they stayed there, she wasn't sure, but the pounding in her head softened.

"Miss Weasley," a sharp, accusatory voice echoed from above her, "Is there any reason you weren't in classes today?"

She held her hand above her eyes, blocking out the low sun. Glancing around, it looked like late afternoon. She'd missed the whole day. As her vision cleared, she saw the furious Professor Snape looming over her, waiting angrily for a response.

"Ginny wasn't feeling well, sir," Luna answered for her, "She was clearing her head,"

"Be that as it may, she should've gone to the Hospital Wing. And I believe that I was talking to Miss Weasley, not yourself, Miss Lovegood,"

"She's telling the truth, Sir," Ginny said, voice much clearer than it had been that morning.

Snape squinted at her as though she was a particularly difficult puzzle.

"Detention, the both of you," he swept off, back toward the castle.

That evening, she wrote to Tom again.

I got my first detention today.

Its the second week of term, how could you possibly have detention?

I skipped class with Luna.

I hope it was worth it, at least.

I didn't feel well. We decided to just sit the day out.

You weren't feeling well?

Yeah. I felt horrible this morning. My head was pounding, all of my body ached. I was so tired.

I'm sorry Gin, I never meant for that to happen.

What?

I fear it may have been my exploits last night that caused it.

Exploits? What are you talking about?

You don't remember?

I remember feeling tired. Did something happen last night?

No. Forget I said anything.

///

A/N: And so it begins!

Hope you liked the chapter, I promise its going to get more interesting now the story's starting to pick up.

I know everyone always says kill your darlings, but I love this Ginny and Luna scene too much to cut it. They're just so adorable!