Chapter 9

My breath was a bit unsteady, while my legs were moving fast. I maneuvered past people knowing i bumped a few but that didn't stop me. I could feel my heart racing, hoping that Clint didn't follow me.  But I was more worried about Natasha. I know she was pissed at Clint but this was my fault.

"Damn fuck.. I should've took care of Clint back at the tower."

"This is my fault."

"I should've shot myself in that alley"

I thought to myself, starting to slow down my pace. I turned into a little alley, stopping completely. I panting quickly trying to breathe in and out to calm myself as I bent over and rest my hands on my knees. "I don't know who I'm going to kill: Clint or me." I said in between pants. "But what now?"

I was a man on the streets now. I want to go back to Natasha but I could risk her life again. I could not let that happen, especially since I just got her back. So now I'm living here. My new home was on the streets of Manhattan,New York. A man who only knew his name, gender, sexuality, and love interest. Also a very old friend from my childhood. Nothing more than that. At least I have something to think about. I sighed, standing straight up and shoving my hands in my pocket when I heard faint footsteps. I squinted my eyes a bit, then turned around holding my metal fist in the air but it was just a boy. He was small, had blond hair and clothes that were a bit large for his size. In a way, reminded me of Steve.

"Woah! Hold up mister!" He put his hands up in surrender as I put my hand down. "Sorry kid.. thought you were someone else."

The blond haired little kid, put his hands on his hips, making a"really" face. "Kid?! I am a pre-teen. The name's Mike Kord. Friends call me MK." He extended his hand out to me and I grabbed it firmly with my human hand. "They call me James Barnes.." I smiled at the sound my name.

"Mr. Barnes.. well I saw you over here and I wanted to make sure you was fine." Mike said, letting go of my hand and shoving them in his pocket while his other gestured to me. "Had a rough day that's all.." I quickly responded.

"Wanna talk about because I have no time to lose." He replied, softly smiling at me. I started at him for moment thinking quietly to myself on whether I should trust this kid. "I'm not sure kid. I don't think your parent would appreciate you talking to a stranger." After what I said Mike whole attitude changed. He rested his head down, and whispered, "My parents are dead."

I knew exactly what he's been through. The loss of parent give excruciating pain to the child. 

--

The day was gloomy, and dark, with no happiness at all. My heart was already shattered with pain. I wore a black suit for the ceremony, sitting in chairs next to people who cared about my parents. They sent their condolences to them, and left as quickly as they arrived. Though I stayed, getting up from my seat and walking to their grave stones.

"George M. Barnes ''A beloved Father'" and my mother grave stone said, "Winifred C. Barnes "A respected and loving mother". 

Tears rolled down my face, started to feel rain come down on the top of my head, though, I didn't care. I didn't care about anyone or anything right now. I fell on my knees, letting my arm hold me up as I leaned foreword. "Mom.. Dad..." I mewled out, gritting my teeth.

"NO!!!!!"  i screamed out, looking up at the sky.

--

"Hey.. Mr. Barnes? You ok?"

A sharp pain rushed through my whole body, making me yelp. "Ack!" I grab my head, falling on my knees. It was like knives was stabbed into my head.

"Mr. Barnes!" Mike said worried, running over to me and touching my human hand. "Sir! Answer me, dammit!" 

The pain lasted for only a moment, then it suddenly stopped. I was panting hard, releasing my hands from my head then looks to the kid. "Sorry.. i had 'moments'."

"Look..  you can stay with me, in my Avengers hideout. Trust me." Mike said, lending his hand to me. I smiled slightly, grabbing his hand and getting up. "Avengers Hideout?"

"It's just something I call a safe place.. Now come on mister!"