𝟒𝟏| 𝐋𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐆𝐨𝐝𝐰𝐢𝐜𝐤

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"You'd never be able to get rid of me," I told him with determination.

"We'll see about that," He accepted the challenge. I swallowed hard. I had never seen him look so determined, especially to get rid of me. How dare he! If he really wished to get rid of me then all he needed to do was simply drop me at my aunt's house but let's just admit that being gambled away was much better than living with my aunt. Trust me on this one.

"You are not serious are you?" I asked him as the previous betting came to an end and the girl that I had seen before was being shoved to a scary-looking guy.

"What do you think, Ophelia?" He asked me grimly, making me swallow hard but I wasn't going to give up so soon. I would give him hell for this. How dare he do something like this to me!

"I thought you were a gentleman," I gritted.

"Only when it serves me," He told me with the tips of his lips slightly curling and this finally made me snap.

"All this just because you want to get rid of me? Why after all this time? A man like you wouldn't put so much energy into something he would gamble away so easily and if you really wished to get rid of me then you'd have assigned such a meagre task to your butler instead of doing it yourself, Romulus," I gritted under my teeth as I glared at him.

He held my glare. I saw his eyes darken. For a fraction of a second, he looked slightly shocked, as if I had seen right through him but it was gone soon. He parted his lips to respond to me but he was instantly interrupted by the announcement for the next round of gambling on the table.

With that, my heart started thrashing against my sternum.

"No," I gritted but he was already handing over what looked like a small token to a Croupier. The Croupier was a woman with slit eyes. She took the token from Mr Night while giving him a seductive smile before she looked at the token thence at me. She smiled slyly.

"I will make you pay for this," I muttered under my breath, loud enough for Mr Night to hear only but I didn't get the chance to say anything else because that woman was tugging me away instantly. I cursed at her and she laughed.

"I wonder if you'd still be so fierce after your master loses you," the croupier joked.

"He's not my master," I hissed at her but my voice couldn't be heard because of the commotion at the table when the other Croupier announced Mr Night's name along with his bet. In the next moment, I was being shoved to the front of the table for everyone to see.

I froze as soon as everyone's eyes landed on me. There were so many faces on the table, all unknown except for one... no, wait a second. There was another face at the table whom I recognised.

Lord Godwick.

As soon as I saw him, my eyes went to Mr Night. He was standing at one corner of the table, watching me pensively. I noticed that Filth was there as well, looking paler than ever. I looked back at Lord Godwick whose eyes were focused on me darkly but soon I was being shoved back as other slaves were displayed one after the other.

I was standing among other slaves and it was hard for me to see what was going on the table but after elbowing some slaves aside, I could finally look at the crowd that was participating in the bet.

Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw through the slight gap between the slaves' crowd. Mr Night and Lord Godwick were talking as if they were acquaintances.

Lord Godwick said something to Mr Night with a smile. Mr Night smiled back at him but the smile didn't reach his eyes before his eyes flickered to me. I glared at him from there until another slave stepped in the way and blocked the view.

The slaves tried to look at the table as the game began. But I stood there, boiling with anger. I didn't have to look at the table to see who was winning or losing. I already knew who was going to win. Though I couldn't fathom why Mr Night was doing something like this.

Well, to start with I couldn't have fathomed a place like this with such strange people would exist in the first place. And even if it did, Mr Night didn't seem like the kind of person to come here often.

There must be something really important for him to come here and gamble me. Try as he might, I would not let him get away with this. Whatever he was planning to do with me here, I would make him pay for this.

After all, he was my employer wasn't he? The best thing that I could do was treat this as work but what work? What was I supposed to do here?

As the game continued, I pondered this hard in my head. Occasionally, I would manage to get a glance of Mr Night focused on the table. Lord Godwick was right beside him, focused on the table as well, looking smug. I had a feeling that after tonight he might not be so smug but that doesn't mean Mr Night would get to live.

I would give him hell once I get out of here and manage to catch that son of a witch alone. All that I had to do now was wait for the game to be over and soon, it was.

"Lord Godwick wins!" A Croupier announced. My head snapped in Mr Night's direction and instantly our eyes locked.

I will see you outside, his eyes almost spoke to me before he disappeared into the crowd. Someone pushed me from behind, it was most probably a Croupier. I was about to curse out loud when I came face to face with Lord Godwick.

"Hello, dear," He smiled at me slyly. It was the first time when I was seeing him up this close. I didn't know what it was about him that sent a shiver down my spine.

Was it the fact that he had tried to get me killed in the past or the fact that his canines looked extremely sharp?

_

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 48 on Patreon. Read the next chapter on Inkitt for Free. The links are in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Thanks for reading ♥︎