05.13.2022 | naming

where I offer advice on
naming your characters

01. names & research!!

1. naming can seem like the simplest thing you have to do when planning a fic but there's a lot more that should go into a name than many realize

2. for starters, depending on the ethnicity of the faceclaim or the character, you should look into last names that come from that culture!! don't give everyone white people last name, instead research last names from different countries and how those would be written depending on gender.

3. PUT MEANING INTO YOUR OCS NAMES!! even if you aren't going to have a name with a meaning behind it, which is amazing and I think that that's a very fun thing to add in, but give a character a name with a subtle or obvious reason!! in my fic "Avenging Souls", Grayson's actual first name is Myrlande which means given by god and just/righteous. this covers her character and history so well, and it's a subtle hint to who Grayson is.

02. name resources

1. resources for names are easy to find. baby name sites and Pinterest are perfect places to look, just remember to do research about the names!!

03. naming in fandoms

1. One thing that I find that people struggle with is naming within fandoms. People will name a character Persephone in a Percy Jackson fic and they'll often use any kind of name for a Marvel fic and not think anything else of it. and seriously , you really shouldn't name a child of the gods after another god, do you know how horrible that will be for the child!?

2. STARWARS: make stuff up!! half of my starwars characters names are me smashing my keyboard. I take names that I like and squash them together (Guiniveve is not a real name lmao) and it's so much fun to do!! please don't name your starwars character something like Sarah or Lily, they're beautiful names yes, but you have so many more unique choices that you should go with instead!!

3. PERCY JACKSON: look, these kids can be named anything. really. but there's a lot wrong with naming the child of Poseidon after Persephone. I don't care if it's the closest thing to Percy y'all that's Hades' wifey!!

4. other fandoms I think that you should make up names for: Hunger Games, Divergent, Marvel, DC, Jurassic Park, Descendants, Harry Potter. and literally any original fic, whether it's fantasy or modern, should have all the weird names <3

 and literally any original fic, whether it's fantasy or modern, should have all the weird names <3