Chapter 6

I ran out the door, smiling. That went better than planned. I didn't have to wait the twenty minutes to make sure they didn't get the security cameras back up and we had a pretty fair chance of getting out.

I ran past people nearly knocking a man off his feet.

"Sorry!" I yelled, but kept going.

I made my way to the dorm first, but they were gone. I was almost to the stairs when I passed a guard and his radio beeped.

"They're gone. They're making their way towards the tunnels." the voice said.

I paused and turned my head away from him to hide my face. He either didn't see me or didn't care because he yanked the door open and ran down the stairs.

I followed him, slowly catching up. My footsteps were loud, but I guess he thought I was another guard.

When I got close enough, I grabbed the collar of his shirt and yanked him back. He stumbled and tripped, but caught his balance before he fell. When he turned around, I rammed my fist into his face and he fell backwards tumbling down the stairs.

I ran after him and stepped over his unconscious body.

"They're going to open the door! Proceed with caution." The same voice yelled through the radio.

I took his key card and radio to keep track of what they're planning. I swiped the card when I reached the last level and yanked the door open.

Bellamy was at the door to the tunnels, arming everyone and pushing them out the door. When he saw me, he smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

"Stop what you're doing!" Someone yelled.

I looked back at the stairs and saw a guard in a hazmat suit, pointing a gun at us.

He looked nervous and kept shifting his feet as if he would be ready to run at a moments notice.

He didn't have his finger on the trigger and I knew he wouldn't shoot. He was probably ordered to just scare us into going back with him.

Hoping and praying that I was right, I walked up to him and spun, putting my back to him and swinging my arm over the gun. I yanked it upwards and heard the shot echo throughout the room. A few people screamed and then everything was quiet. People watched as I pried the gun out of his hand and rammed the butt of it into his gut. I would have gone for the face but he had a mask on.

He doubled over, clutching his stomach and trying to catch his breath. I bent down and ripped his suit open, exposing him to the radiation. Everyone's eyes were on me, but once again I only felt Bellamy's.

He had a smile on his face and he looked really proud of me, but we couldn't stop moving.

"Keep going!" I yelled.

Bellamy continued to arm people and push them out the door as I stood behind them trying to move them along faster.

Jasper and Monty were next to me, talking about what they were going to do first when we got back. I looked around and smiled. Everyone was smiling as they waited for Bellamy to arm them and then ran out the door once he did. A few stopped outside the door and waited for their friends and then disappeared around the corner. They were finally going home.

My vision blurred and I saw myself standing in the door of a drop ship. I was watching people run and cheer as they stepped on the ground for the first time. I smiled and watched as Octavia pushed Bellamy away from her and Jasper and Monty disappeared into the trees. They all looked different than they did now. They were clean, happy, and had no reason to worry. That's how they should be.