The beginning

Prologue

Prologue

*****

>> Joni <<

The red-haired walks through the crowd in the market, sneakily, fast-paced but quiet and small as she is. The stall owner doesn't notice her, this is her chance. She walks closer to the bread stall, her hands reach out to the nearest bread loaf, and-

"Hey you, kid! What do you think you're doing!"The stall owner has noticed her. She grabs a few bread loafs from the stall, well, she better run now, she has been noticed.

She runs for it, pushing the people in front of her away, the bread stall owner chased for her, "Hey!! Get back here!" he yelled. She was fast, really fast, anyone could tell she has been doing this for a long while now...knowing the streets at every turn and jumping over obstacles easily. The man chasing her was gone, she sighed in relief, of course, she outran him, as she always does.

She removes her mask and munches on one of the bread loaves in her hands. She eats like she hasn't eaten for a few days. She sighs, how long will she have to do this, she wonders, but she's doing this for them. She continues walking to an old apartment, the white walls were all stained and have changed into a yellowish colour. She walked along the dirty halls, with trash or cigarettes scattered around, she noticed a rat running along the path. She walked up to a residence with a rusted door gate. She knocked on the door behind the gate. She notices that the door's wood has been slightly broken down. As she waits, she could hear footsteps running from inside.

"Sis! Joni's here!!" Alan exclaimed, he was happy to see Joni, he always was whenever someone visited them. Alex walked out of the apartment, smiling with joy. "Here," Joni said as she handed them the bread loaves, Alan drooled from his mouth. "Sorry if it isn't much, I'll get more when I visit next time,"

"It's more than enough Joni, I couldn't thank you enough!" Alex was grateful, Joni was one of the only friends that helped her, of course, there was Garry and Mia too, and someone who she hasn't seen in a long while...

"I'll get you fish meat next time, okay Alan?" Joni said as she patted the boy's head.

"Anything interesting lately?" Alex said as she sat down on the carpet.

"Well yeah, I'm thinking of getting a job to earn some cash," Joni sat on the carpet too. Alan sat next to his sister.

"Woah really? What job do you have in mind?"

"I'm...I'm not sure yet," Joni lied, she was already working, but she doesn't want to worry Alex about her job. "Have you heard from Mia recently?" Joni asked, Mia was her best friend, she had some family problems recently and is now barely visiting them.

"No," Alex shook her head, "But I know that she works as a waitress, she works double shifts now. She must be having a bad time too," Alex said worriedly.