Chapter 5: You're Not Them

"Better!" Caspian shouted at me when I countered his attack. We had been training all morning since the crack of dawn, and Caspian had been treating me as if I were a work horse. "That was much better, good job." he repeated out of breath. We had just finished dueling with the new tricks Caspian was teaching me. How to use an opponent's strength against them.

     "Can I take a break now... please?" I pleaded desperately as I rested my hands on my hips, squinting through my lashes as the hot sun beat down on my skin.

     "Alright." He exhaled, "Go inside and eat something, but come back out soon cause I want to start training you with two swords." 

     My eyes almost popped out of my head, "Two?" I exclaimed with pure joy. 

     "Yes." Caspian laughed, "I think you're ready."

     I dropped my sword and ran to him with a tight hug squeezing his arms, "Thank you thank you thank you!" I shouted in his ear. He knew its been a goal of mine to reach the skill level of fighting with two swords, I thought it was badass. Especially since not many knew how to fight with two, let alone a woman. "Ya know, I don't think I need a break anymore. Let's get started, hand me another one!" I held my hand out motioning to his spare sword in his hilt.

     Caspian laughed, "No I think you should take a break. Go inside. Cool down, eat, and then you can come back out. I have to discuss a couple of things with Peter in regards to formations."

     I laced my sword back in its case on my hilt and did as he said. Inside the How, it was kind of loud in the main room. Lots of Narnians and beasts with deep voices socializing and conversating. I wanted to rest in a quiet area then remembered the room Caspian showed last night. So I made my way down to the room with the stone table in it. A small cloth in hand with some cheese, bread, and a bit of honeycomb tucked in it. I entered the room to see it was still lit up from the night before, I sat on the small steps next to the stone table and began to eat. The large plaster of stone showcasing the carving of Aslan facing me. I couldn't help but think about him. What was he like?... was he as wise as people say?... will he come back? When I finished the few snacks I hopped up onto the table and laid down, focusing on my breathing and letting my mind continue to wander in this space of comfort. 

     I finally get to use two swords. I've always wanted to train with these... but I'm not training for fun. I'm training to kill people, my people. Am I doing the right thing? Is this war even a good idea? What if this war turns me into someone I'm not and I find a sense of power in killing others. The same way my father found his obsession with power in the first time he killed someone in battle. Perhaps I could go see my father and set things straight. After all I don't want my people or the Narnians dying in my sight. As his daughter I still have hope he could change. Maybe he would listen and negotiate with the Kings and Queens. Maybe I could persuade Edmund to come with me. We can bring peace without having to lose so many lives and- 

     Footsteps emerged into the room interrupted my thoughts, I sat up to see who it was. 

     Coincidentally...

     "Oh, hey Aravis." Edmund was taken aback by me, "Sorry I didn't know you'd be here."

     "It's no trouble at all, I was just thinking." I said. Turning my body back to the Aslan carving. I crossed my legs and I twiddled with the hem of my dress.

     "Any thoughts you want to share?" he smirked to himself as he made his way over to me. 

     It's like he knew I was thinking about him, but not in the same lust-full way he hoped.