Chapter One: Moving?

“What do you mean by ‘moving’?” I asked my parents, but I already knew the answer.

“Moving, as moving, or however you describe it.” My father was DEFINITELY not an English major, but he was an accountant!

“By moving we mean moving to Russia.” Russia? As in normally cold Russia? As in halfway across the world Russia?

“Russia?” I squeaked out.

“Yes Russia!” My dad bellowed. “Be excited! You’ll get to take some great photographs with all the scenery and everything!”

Okay, so I had gotten this new, state-of-the-art DSL camera, right? The day after I got it, me being the clumsiest person on the face of the Earth, dropped it on our hard wood floors. It still works, just not well… okay, it doesn’t work.

“Um, lovely parents of mine?” I asked, “I don’t want to move. I just got elected captain of the dance team and I’m only a junior! Normally only seniors are elec-“

“Honey! We know, you told us that after you were elected…remember?” My mom cut in.

“Sorry if I’m not allowed to be excited about these things.” I huffed.

“We know, we know, we know.” My mom sighed.

“Okay so we’re not moving?” I asked, hoping to throw them off-guard.

“Jessica Robin Rode. We’re moving whether you like it or not.” My dad disagreed.

“You know what, Dad?” I slammed my fists on the table, “I don’t think I am moving!”

“Excuse me?” My mom asked.

“I’m so sick and tired of having to go along with whatever you say,” I started, I had never stood up to my parents like this so they were just sitting there, flabbergasted, “I’ll be out of here once I get my diploma, and you know why?”

“Why?” My dad said, amused at my outbreak.

“Because I didn’t have a normal childhood, and I think that staying here for five years was the best thing that has ever happened to us. You know why?”

I didn’t wait for their ‘why’, “I have friends, you guys have friends, you seem happier than you were in Pennsylvania, I’m captain of the dance team, I’m the main setter of the volleyball team, I’m drum major! All those things have been dreams of mine, and they’ve ALL come true.”

My parents just sat there with their mouths gaping open while I breathed heavily.

“She does have a good point.” My dad muttered to my mom.

“Maybe she could live with the Millers?” My mom thought out loud.

The Millers? They had seven sons, and my parents were thinking about letting me live there?

Okay, let me explain to you about the Millers, they were my parent’s best friends, oh and did I mention they live in Washington, Washington STATE? There is normally NO sun there, unlike sun-drenched Florida.

“Aoh my-” I started to say, but got cut off by my dad.

“Aoh?” He snickered.

“I was going to say ah and then I started saying oh my god.” I seethed. This is not the time for jokes, dad. “So they just got messed up or whatever. Like how Cady in Mean Girls said grool? Combination of cool and great?” I tried.

“Uh, Jess are you okay?” My mom questioned me.

“I’m totally fine, mom.” I grumbled.

“So,” my dad started, “you have a choice to make, young lady. Choose wisely!”